Friday, May 20, 2011

on the downside of new york city.

so being a new york city dweller is not all about eating at the brooklyn flea, drinking red wine and engorging yourself on funfetti cake all while wearing a pair of fabulous heels as i've made it out to be. sometimes, just sometimes, living here can be frustrating, a pain, and just plain exhausting. which leads me to tourists.
i actually like tourists. one - they spend a lot of money here. they bring the city tons of revenue and create many jobs in the process. and if there are two things i like better than cake and wine, it's revenue and jobs. second, their wonder and awe for the city remind me everyday how lucky i am live to here and how grateful i should be for that opportunity. so thank you tourists for keeping me humble. you're like the best for realz. but my exposure to tourists has been increased exponentially since i started working in rockefeller center. and in between all the tourists, and midtown workers and new yorkers, you find yourself having a lot more interaction with strangers on a daily basis then you would if say you worked in, oh, i don't know, let's say iowa. that's seems like a fair comparison.
unless you're brit brit being a tourist, do not step. via here.
so it was with little fanfare that i left work last friday when i had a typical nyc incident. i headed out the revolving door a mother and her two teenage daughters were also walking through. except they decided to keep going through one more time. i get it - fun! revolving doors! they don't have those in iowa! great fun! so i joined in on the fun, but just to simply, you know, use the door to leave the building. i'm old fashioned like that.
via here.
but when i pushed the door the mom (who i guess was going slowly? not pushing and letting her daughters push? i dunno) did not seem to comprehend that the door was going to keep going and bumped into it. she turned to scold her daughters, and then she saw me. i apologized with a smile because, like any normal human being, i felt bad she bumped her shoulder. and then it happened. the tourist meltdown.
"sorry! you better be sorry! you're going to be sorry when I send you the bill! so sorry..."
aaaaaaaand that's when i got out of earshot. i was about to turn around and take her down to chinatown, but i decided that yelling at an older woman in an acid-washed jean jacket (tourist alert!) in front of my place of work would not be a high point for me. so i walked on. but naturally, all the things i would have said build up in my head.
"hmmm...i pushed a door to leave a building? are you incompetent enough to not grasp that there's nothing wrong in doing that? are you so unintelligent to see that fact?"
and then you stop and wonder why you're asking youself so many rhetorical questions and getting so hot and bothered. and this is the bad part of nyc that can grate on you. these interactions can get to you. make you angry. exhaust you. and is probably the root cause of why i eat so much funfetti cake.
*le sigh*. end of rant / story. when am i allowed to officially be called a new yorker again?

4 comments:

  1. i have to say midtown (i work in the same area as you) always tests my nerves. nothing confuses me more than people who stop in front of revolving doors or at the exit point of an escalator--dangerous for everyone behind them.

    i exonerate you, a new yorker again, you are. (do i have the power to do that?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, yes i declare you able to have the power to do that, thank you!! p.s. i love your writing in your blog. thought you'd like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we first moved to Chicago, I worked at the Hancock Building on Michigan Avenue. Totally the same thing... I'd be trying to walk a block or two for lunch, and get stuck behind the slowest people in the city. I can't believe that lady actually yelled at her, though! I would have obsessed over what to say after it happened, too... I hate that! I never say anything in the moment, but for the next day or two you can't stop thinking what you should have said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-)) Although, I've never lived in N.Y. I know how you feel. I think most major cities have the same problem with tourists. I remember when I used to live in London, how aggravated I became at the tourists because they always walked on either side of the sidewalk and seemed to bump into all of us Londoners. The streets are so crowded that the flow of direction is important. When I left, the city of London began putting arrows on the sidewalks to tell people in what direction they should be walking in.

    p.s. I'm now your latest follower!

    Cheers and have a lovely weekend Colleen!

    Reese
    http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
    http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...