Friday, June 17, 2011

on friendly vacations.

well i'm headed back down south again this weekend. and you can bet i'm bringing these bad boys.
i'm headed to north carolina to visit a good friend from high school. we got to spend one year together in new york before she moved there for graduate school, and i'm so excited to see her.
a few years ago i read a blog post about vacations. we often set our sights high, saving our pennies for a wine vacation in napa valley, some fun in the sun in florida, or a parisian adventure. we forget that when we're young and penniless, the most affordable vacations can be those spent visiting our friends. while i wouldn't advocate shacking up with them for a week, it doesn't get much better than a long weekend spent with a friend. some of the locales may not be as exotic as others, but with words like "foodie" and "fashion blogger" part of our everyday vocab, we know that there's something grand to eat everywhere, a new store somewhere filled with goodies we love, and history and sights to be seen in all places. essentially - each place has it's own experience to offer. no matter where it might be. so i've made it a plan to try and visit my friends in all the places they are, no matter if the city was on my "must-see" list or not. i've got friends in colorado, a state i've never frequented, and from which i've only heard good things. i visited my friend in jackson hole, wyoming, last year, a trip that completely floored me with it's natural beauty, but of course involved debauchery that she and i would get into anywhere, no matter the place. lisa, my bestest, is in huntsville, al. i hadn't heard of it until she moved there, but i've seen a restaurant from there profiled in food and wine, i've heard fabulous stories about the locals from her, and i know the bar-be-que is good down there! i've got friends in texas, or about to move to texas, a state i've never seen. and texas is like it's own country! i've got to get there soon to take it all in.
so off i go to north carolina. a state i've been to many times, but mostly just for the beach. this time i'll be eating some wonderful bar-be-que (seriously, this is becoming the summer of bar-be-que. i'm kind of excited about it). i've got a list of stores that are consistently ranked among the top vintage stores in the country that i want to peek into. and my friend has a pool, around which we hope to lay around, sharing margaritas and stories from the past few months. and the best thing about all of this is that i get to do these things with an amazing friend, who missed me enough to invite me down, and i missed her enough to buy my ticket right after she encouraged the visit. and that is really what makes the trip special.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those boots! So cute! Have fun down South!

    xx

    http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want those boots!

    Just discovered your blog, would love it if you stopped by mine sometime.

    Andrea x
    andreareh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous boots! I want! Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I love your boots. That picture is amazing. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. :)

    I would love for you to stop by my celebrity style and fashion blog. My latest post features my weekend in Laguna Beach! Happy Monday! :)

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...