Wednesday, July 13, 2011

on suggestions.

always breathtaking. grace kelly, via here.
so next weekend i am hosting a bridal shower in my first turn as a maid of honor. and really, truly, it is an honor. the bride and i met on the first day of kindergarten and we never looked back. so to be such a big part of this event is very special. but oh, my friends, has it had it's low points. i'm sure any of you former maids would agree with me. goodness knows what it's like to be the bride!

therefore, i have some uneasiness leading up to next week when i throw her a bridal shower. i have a post all planned to tell you about the ideas i am bringing to her shower, but they are mostly (and by that i mean exclusively) from etsy. so, to all of you who have been a bride -  what was the highlight of your shower? what did you love? what couldn't you do without? what could you do without? if you did it all over again, what would you keep and what would you change?

the same questions apply to you bridal shower veterans. i've only been to one bridal shower in my life (thank you jesus!) so i would really love to hear everyone's ideas. while bridal showers may not be my favorite activity, i'd love to give her a wonderful day. although i'm sure the margaritas we're serving will help.

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean - it's so fun being a maid of honor or bridesmaid, but it is a lot of work and gets tiring! (I've done it 6x and am glad I am don for a while!) What I loved about my bridal shower was that I just felt SO special. My sisters know me so well, so when they planned it they just made it full of things I love: from the food choices, to the cupcake bar, to the games (that were NOT cheesy! hate standard shower games!), and the decorations. Since you've known your friend since kindergarten you I'm sure know her very well and will be able to plan a really special party that she will love. Basically any bride will have fun at her shower because it's a very tangible reminder that I'M GETTING MARRIED! and tons of presents? Who doesn't love that?! ok sry this turned out to be a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! Glad it lead me to yours :) I got married this past November, so all the bridal showers are still fresh in my mind! The best - and most fun thing - was opening the gifts in front of everyone so people can see what you get. Make sure someone is writing it all down for the bride, so writing thank you notes will be much easier! Also, if it's a couples shower, play a "newlywed" type game... that was SO funny and all the guest loved it and got to know "us" as a couple better! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I'm restating the obvious but make sure you bounce your ideas off the bride. You want to make sure she's comfortable with your plans.

    I decided not to have a bridal shower. My friends and family accepted my decision and knew that putting me through one would have been torture. So it really is about what the bride is going to like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't stress out. you'll do a great job! i could have done without the stupid games. i also hated opening gifts in front of everyone and passing them around. so boring. though it may be traditional to let everyone see what you registered for, i would have rather spent the time with my friends and family. not the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoyed showers that are just relaxed...and I don't like games at all. Just good food, and hang outs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i kind of love that everyone here wrote a book. i LOVE that you told me your thoughts and, that that kind of contradicted one another. it drives home the point about making a shower special to the bride, which i have tried to make happen. thank you all so, so, SO, much for your comments. out all of my posts, this meant the most to me. really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, would love to see, what u do....sounds fun


    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...