Friday, July 29, 2011

on the touristy spots the locals like.

via here.
last night my company had our summer outing and, much to my chagrin, we took a boat out on the hudson. (you can look at this post to see why i have chagrin, and yes, the shipwreck post is coming soon. get excited). let's just say boats are not my thing.

we sailed down to the tip of manhattan and got right up next to the statue of liberty. when i was intern i used to watch the sun rise and set over lady liberty, and it was the first time in my life i felt like i had "made it". (i was wrong. but hey, i appreciate the memory). the statue of liberty is an amazing engineering feat (i'm an engineer, i have to mention it!) and such a huge symbol to all americans about how diverse and unique our country is. even if america isn't your jam, there's really no other country that came to fruition out of the families of immigrants from every corner of the world. and i think that's pretty cool, myself. so what do you know - when we sailed by her everyone came out on deck to take a pictures. iphones and blackberrys as far as the eye could see. we might be jaded new yorkers, but there are still certain sites that we never tire of either, and lady liberty is one of them. a few more that i think are worthy of the list are:

the brooklyn bridge
top of the rock (see this post for more!)
the met
grand central station
katz's deli

if i had any advice to a tourist, it would be to put those at the top of your list. what about the other former or current new yorkers who read this - what would you add? and for those who have come here, is there something you think i'm missing out  on by pretending i'm too cool to see it?

9 comments:

  1. I just went on a vacation to New York City, and I am so glad I did all the things on your list!!! I took a boat on the Hudson, too, and yes, I was one of those people snapping pictures of Lady Liberty. Along with everyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning a trip to New York in September (my first ever to America) so this post is really helpful - we only have 4 days so I really need to know what not to miss! Loved your top of the rock pictures! It's got me excited about it all over again! There is nothing better than insider knowledge of a city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking the Brooklyn Bridge. There's something about it that's so fun and magical. And the BB park is pretty amazing too! Katz's is the ultimate place for a hot pastrami sandwich...I love it.

    I would also include Levain bakery on this list. It's equally packed with locals and tourists. Best cookies EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I always wondered what tourist spots locals actually visited. And I remember your post on top of the rock and definitely am planning to go there next time I'm in the city! Excited to finally hear the shipwreck story! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love NYC. The smell, the hustle and bustle of people, the food, the fashion... But the Brooklyn Bridge is always something I look forward to with much anticipation when I vacation there. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to NYC since I was a kid, but I remember loving tea at The Plaza, so I could pretend I was like Eloise! One of my best friends lives there now, and I keep trying to find the time/money to visit. Some day!

    Also, our company outing this summer was a lunch cruise on Lake Michigan, and though it was from Navy Pier and totally cheesy, we all kept taking pictures and totally loving it :) There are some toutisty things in Chicago I try to avoid, but I actually have a lot of fun playing tourist sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. planning a trip there this winter. so excited. thanks for another amazing post. Would love if you'd check out my latest go-to fash and see which fashion maven can't live without her Louboutins. Thanks love. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta say walking over the Brooklyn Bridge was my absolute favourite... especially around sunset. MOMA never disappoints either. Thanks for sharing your New York with us! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! This makes me want to go back! We went to NYC for our senior class trip, but didn't do any of those things. We did Ground Zero, the Empire State Building, Chinatown, and of course Times Square. And that's it! No Lady Liberty, no Central Park, no Seinfeld anything! (I'm slightly obsessed with Seinfeld.) We didn't even eat anywhere nice (no, PCHS, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and Hard Rock do not count.)

    When I come back for a repeat visit, you're gonna have to show me around! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...