Thursday, August 18, 2011

on the case for summer.

i've been seeing on a lot of blogs lately that people are *really* excited for fall.
they are pumped. up.
now, don't get me wrong, i love fall. pumpkin pie. college football. leaves changing colors. wearing boots. i get it. it's fun. i appreciate it. heck, i love winter too! christmas season is pretty much my best friend. come december you can't turn your head in this little studio apartment without a santa figure calling you out on being a ho.
santa is a a little saucy like that.
but people, particularly my east coast readers, am i the only one who remembers this past winter? how we got inches (feet, even) of snow every week? how march and april were freezing? how may was cold and rainy and then boom - summer was here, no spring? am i the only godforsaken person on this island who remembers that winter was so long it destroyed the spring season? am i?!
seriously people, don't make me write in caps here. you know i don't want to do that.
so it's with great dismay that i've seen people looking forward to fall. i mean, summer has been pretty mild, too. yes, we had a heat wave. it lasted like, four days. give me a break.
side eye to all the people complaining about the heat wave
and driving to work in their air conditioned cars
that don't wait for the subway in their
button down shirts after
walking five avenue blocks.
major. side eye.
so i'm here to say - summer, i love you. you've been awesome. i want you to continue to be awesome for as long as possible.
and without further ado, let's cheers all the great things that summer has brought us and, luckily, will continue to bring us for a few more weeks.
fresh basil, that i put on everything. via here.
fresh strawberries to make pies with.
baseball games. 
bar-be-que.
margaritas by the pool.
going to the racetrack.
and, my number one love, hot dogs.
so fall, i will welcome you with open arms, don't worry. as long as you come at the appropriate time.

13 comments:

  1. Colleen, we are so on the same page! What is up with everyone wanting the summer to be over? I can't take seeing all these sweaters, boots and foliage when I am still enjoying shorts, sandals and the beautiful sun!

    Anytime I find myself starting to complain about the heat, I immediately think of this past winter and how miserable it was. Oh, how soon we forget! And might I add that wearing a gigantic, heavy coat just so I can keep warm, is just about the most annoying thing ever?!

    Sorry, rant over.

    I have my fingers crossed for an Indian summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I'm excited about Fall but not ready to say goodbye to summer yet. I'm still hanging by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I put basil on everything too! I love summer too and I hate being cold so its a toss up for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate winter which is why I'm hesitant to get overly excited for fall. Fall is my favorite season so I'm excited for that reason, but I want to hold onto this sunshine and blue skies because winter still comes after fall :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I love the fresh strawberries (all berries) that you get in the summer...and I think you can drink margaritas year 'round (and all day every day!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jillian - i'll cross my fingers right along with you.

    hannah - so true, they're just a little more wonderful when enjoyed poolside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are loving the summer!
    where do you live?

    I am in Georgia and it is terribly hot, so I do look forward to the cooler months because they tend to be much more mild. still, it's nice to have fresh-grown food during the summer, and to walk around in shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. becca - i'm in new york city, and it was cold this winter. i can understand wanting the cooler months in georgia, it gets pretty darn hot in the south!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, you busted me. I've already done a Welcome Fall post. I'm an avid cold weather fan and really the only way I can cope with the heat is drinking a marg while submersed in water. Can we still be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  10. molly - i think it's too late to turn back now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures, especially strawberries, i just love them


    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree! I am in no big hurry for fall. I will enjoy the cooler temps - it's still sooo hot here in Arkansas! and of course I love football season - but I'm a summer girl, through and through. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are four seasons around the year,so I adore each season for their unique characters and try to enjoy them to the fullest..I love summer in a countryside.. It's definitely not a torture...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...