Friday, August 19, 2011

on gifts for oneself.

so my birthday is coming up. no it is not today and yes, i will alert you to when it occurs. like most people, i think it's quite proper to give myself a gift. i mean, it really is the right thing to do. so finally, after much hemming and hawing, i got myself the perfect gift:
something i don't need. (right now, at least).
i have had my eye on this crystal wine decanter for months. months, i tell you! while i may not be having people over for dinner now (you know, at my two seat table that's squeezed in so tightly you can't pull one chair away from the table), but one day i will. in my big, new york city girl dreams, i have a table that seats four people.
i know, i know, it's a very grand dream.
and in that dream i pour them wine from this decanter. like i said, it's very grand.
like all things from etsy, it was a great vintage find. in perfect, no-chip, condition, it was a fraction of what it would be at retail today. oh etsy, how did i live before you?!
so please, have a wonderful weekend and even if it's not your birthday, pick up something you've had your eye on for awhile. you won't regret it. and get ready for next week, when i unveil my birthday cake, semi-homemade addition! (you know, to make the semi-first lady of new york proud).
all images via this shop.

13 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of gifts for oneself on all occasions but specially on your birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - so classy! And I want to do my birthday over so I can buy myself a present! I used to buy myself presents all the time and then we got married... now I guess the right thing to do is just buy each other presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy almost birthday!! I say celebrate all month long :) That is just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I think you can make perfect use of it now. You can buy yourself a bottle whatever and treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo la la! What an awesome bday gift! My bday is in April, wink wink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulous! All I got myself this year was a book I've been wanting. You've inspired me to step it up a notch next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is beautiful :) happy I stumbled across your blog. new follower over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love crystal decanters. My nanna had a decanter and full set of crystal tumblers. I used to love the way you could flick the glass or trace your finger around the rim to make that long tingling sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely choice, and i agree that it is good to treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crystal decanter looks great and you can make good use of it now,drinking for pleasure, drinking for inspiration and the strength,I am gonna buy a precious gift for my birthday too even I am far away from my parents and friends now....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful find. I agree. Birthdays do require a gift to yourself.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the decanter.What a great find!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful! I love the vintage style of it. Keep up your big NCY dreams... I know you can get that 4 person table ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...