Friday, September 16, 2011

on familial support.

i love having a big family. my grandparents on both sides loved to pro-create, bless their hearts. we've got doctors, lawyers, businessmen, teachers, black sheep. we have it all. and my big family comes in handy.
you see, this past weekend at the wedding, we said good-bye to the bride and groom with sparklers. i have always felt wary of this new tradition that has seemed to developed. a bunch of drunk people, crammed together, waving sticks on fire. what could be a better idea? and i've always gone along with it, telling myself i'll be fine. apparently i forgot that i'm the girl who goes on spring break and gets in shipwrecks. because, you know. luck of the irish and all that.
so, naturally, this past saturday someone dropped a sparkler on my chest and burned me. badly. like, my skin was black. it's not a first-degree burn. it's not a third-degree burn. it's somewhere in the middle. to say the least, the situation kind of stinks.
i came back to new york after a nurse treated me at the wedding, saw my normal doctor and attempted to get an appointment with a plastic surgeon (yes, the scar is going to bad. real bad. maybe i need surgery to not look like an alien bad.) lo and behold, the surgeon was booked until the end of october. crazy. who knew people got plastic surgery in new york?!
i had called this doctor because he was a friend of my uncle's, but figured i could find another. i mean, we have quite a few plastic surgeons in this little town i call home. but with a little phone call from my uncle, the doctor decided to quickly see me a few days ago during his lunch break.
and, the visit was awesome. i was taught how to deal with my burn and to care for my wound properly. i was told to come back in a few weeks to get medicine to control the scar. it was amazing. and to top it off, the doctor charged me nothing. you know, just a friend dropping by with a burn wound on their tit. like any other day.
and that, my friends, is why i love families. siblings, kids, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents. we look out for each other. we have one another's backs. we take care of one another. my family in new york has helped me out many times before, but this time i was genuinely scared about my well-being, and with their help i really feel like everything is going to be ok. it's a good feeling. i feel safe. i feel healthy.
so i've got to say thanks to my uncle john. i appreciate everything.
sincerely,
me and my right tit.

13 comments:

  1. Damn girl, that blows. You really do have all the luck, don't you? I'm glad something positive came out of it, at the very least. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no I'm so sorry! I've never liked the sparkler idea either. I hope that it heals quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the whole drunk people with fire sticks concept is a terrible idea. I was at a wedding a couple years ago where the bride and groom ran under all of us holding them up... disaster waiting to happen. That sucks you got burned. Thank goodness for your uncle, though, becuase I'm sure it's much less stressful now that you know there's a doctor looking out for you. Hope it heals easily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen! I am so sorry that this happened to you. Sending warm thoughts that it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that happened to you! I have been contemplating sparklers at my Goodbye-but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...I am the third Erin to comment! It really sucks that this happened to you. What a freak accident. Thank goodness you family was able to help get you that appointment.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! You should get all the wedding gifts forwarded to your house. It's only fair.

    Hopes for quick mending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart! I'm glad you're being taken care of. Hopefully you won't have to have surgery. Anyway, guys dig scars. :)

    Sad, but it sounds exactly like something I would do. Reminds me of the time I kind of set a girl's hair on fire while roasting marshmallows. Luck of the Irish indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. adore this post. I hope you had a great weekend. I'd would love to hear what you think of my latest outfit post. Thanks love. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What?!

    Colleen! I am so sorry this happened to you. It sounds extremely painful.

    I love that you had family to help you.

    We need to catch up for real, friend!

    I am so sorry about your right tit... never thought I'd have to say that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know molly - although i do appreciate it.

    thank you all for your sweet messages - it healed a lot this weekend, so i'm starting to feel much better already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww poor right boobie.

    I wish we had a doc in our family. Just a bunch of crazies. And if any of my family reads this, stop being offended, you know you crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...