Thursday, September 1, 2011

on fate.

via here.
i always wonder about fate. destiny. the choices we make along the way. for most of my life, fate and destiny were not things that interested me. and it's not say i shrugged the concepts away, but we make choices every day that effect the direction of our lives, whether we know it or not. i think it's too easy to chock them up to fate, as opposed to knowing that sometimes it's just the way life goes - that sometimes there are not convenient answers and explanations. these choices can have little or big impacts on our lives - from the time we leave the house in the morning to what store we stop into for lunch. the woman running late to work didn't make it in time to her job in the twin towers on september 11th. the man who stops for a sandwich at a place he hasn't been to in awhile runs into an old friend.
we tell ourselves, it's fate.
i just think we can't quite wrap our minds around the intricacies of life and the consequences it brings us through our choices.
but then i moved to nashville. my move to nashville was really non-sensical. it was for a boy. a boy i was kind of dating. a boy who i had made pact with a year before, deep down knowing he would never keep it. deep enough, though, that i chose to ignore it. i wasn't supposed to go to grad school right after college. i wasn't even sure that the graduate program i attended was what i really wanted. but blindly i said yes to the school's acceptance and off to nashville i went. in the time before i started classes and my first few months at school, i fell deeply in love with everything it was. with the city. with my classes. the friends i started to make there felt like ones i had known all along, we had just lost track of one another in the first 20 or so years of life. and finally, at the end, i met the wonderful guy i'm dating now, and i don't know how i went through so much of my life without him.
needless to say, that boy and i didn't work out. we didn't even talk when i first moved to nashville. and yet...i wonder. i wonder about his presence in my life. how for years we were on and off and tired to make it work and at the last minute it worked enough to convince me to move down south. sure, i made choices all along the way that brought me to that point. i filled out applications and took tests and did all the things that required effort and time and thought. but it's the one, and only, period in my life where i can't shake the feeling that something a little bigger than me was at work. that it was watching the pieces of my life move along, knowing full well where they would end up, and i, unsuspectingly, went along with it all.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a thought-provoking post. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't done this or that. But I like where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fate is something we have to face, keep moving on! <3

    sweet and sugars,
    Dias

    ReplyDelete
  3. I flip flop between believing in fate and believing we are the master of our own destinies (it depends on my mood really). There are some unexplained incidents in my life where I also can't shake that feeling of something bigger being at work - I think everyone feels that at some point or another. I am in the process of reading The Secret by Rhonda Byrne which focuses on the power of your own thoughts shaping your future. I'm not 100% if I fully believe that but it's a very interesting concept! Got me thinking about fate now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do like to believe that things happen for a reason. I moved to Chicago to finish school and live the big city life that I had always dreamed of. I did finish school, but I paid too much money for what I got in my opinion and now I'm not even using my degree. BUT, I met my husband all through a friend who my brother introduced me to years before and it still strikes me as weird to have that connection. It's as if I was called to Chicago to find him and experience the city life only to realize I'm not a city person. Funny, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with the idea that little mindless decisions we make are part of a bigger plan to get us from A to B. Fate is both terrifying and a really beautiful concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree-it's like that movie sliding doors! Crazy how life could be so different with different moves! I like this post! I also love that photo of the dog! SO precious!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post :')!!! Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i often think about stuff i've done, that led me places i am now. i suppose though, that you could say that about every single thing in life... ?
    xo dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. im a huge believer in fate

    http://xoxo-carolinalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. Sometimes things just work out SO wonderfully, that it makes you wonder...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...