Tuesday, November 29, 2011

on little italian spots.

lately nyc has been getting to me. i've talked about some of the downsides of living in nyc before, and i mostly try to stay positive and appreciate where i am, but this week i'm just not feeling it. i miss driving to target, and wide open streets, and mountains. but last night i took some comfort in heading to a tiny italian restaurant near the east village for some dinner. if i have one soft spot for nyc, it's the tiny italian restaurants, with flickering candles and reasonable prices. my favorite is this one - every time the boy and i go there we get the same bottle of wine and argue over who gets to order the gnocchi (he usually wins).  so last night, in a similar spot, i tried to take some comfort in a good plate of pasta and a nice glass of wine. i won't be here forever, so i'll do my best to savor what i can from the experience.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you.

    Taking the bus to the Harlem Target just isn't the same, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. molly -haha, no it's definitely not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found some comfort in some pasta and wine. Who doesn't find comfort in that?! :) Only a few weeks until Christmas and you will be in VA with the mountains and wide open streets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri Lynn - so true! And that thought makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes it is so hard to be content where you are. especially in dreary weather or season where memories take place somewhere else. hang in there friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, I can relate. The city gets way too oppressive for me sometimes, I start to miss ‘normality’ and the stuff I took for granted like space, clean air, nature and not getting stuck in hour long traffic jams just to go to the supermarket! I think you did the right thing by eating at a fabulous restaurant and looking on the bright side (I really needed this reminder so thanks). If all else fails, it’s just a matter of days until Christmas and I know how much you love Christmas! Put some Nat King Cole on and bake us something Christmassy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have those days sometimes, too, and Chicago isn't nearly as overwhelming as NYC. Mostly I hate that we have a car, since we're in a neighborhood where it's useful, and parking is such a pain. Just think how much you'll cherish these days when you're older and out of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Jamaica ruined you for NYC. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love gnocchi. I do. Really.

    Where does your gentleman live? Do you ever go to visit him?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...