Thursday, November 17, 2011

on my favorite thanksgiving dish.

stuffing. oh stuffing. the cause of many stomachaches. the cause of so much joy. i. love. stuffing. last year i made my first stuffing from scratch, thanks to this recipe from food and wine. what can i say, i love food and wine. they are good to me. this is a very basic recipe, so it's easy to add an apple or some toasted nuts to the dish. i said i would this time around, but it tasted so good last year that i just went for the old basic. so here it is - sausage and bread stuffing.
and turkey stock. that too.
let's talk about the word mirepoix. it basically means a combination of carrot, celery, and onion. whaaaaaaaat?! is this not the greatest thing of all time?! such a fancy word for such a simple thing! it seriously delights me.
can you tell?!
last year i made my mirepoix, but this year i bought it. that's right, stores sell already cut up carrots, celery and onion to make your life a little easier. at least trader joe's does. like i said, they are amazing at the holidays. next comes the best ingredient of all. the sausage.
you then mix this with toasted bread cubes, and turkey stock before the last, very important, crucial step. but first, let's talk about toasting two pounds of bread cubes. there's no cookie sheet large enough for this. the directions in the recipe seems to think there is. that's crazy. so in my ghetto little oven i pop in a cake pan that i put the cubes in, and after about 15-20 minutes of toasting i spoon the top layer into a bowl, pop the cake pan back in, and let the next layer toast. 
sidenote: my oven is only 18 inches wide.
please go measure your oven, come back here
and comment and let me know your oven width.
i'm pretty sure mine is severely inadequate.
and yes, this basically makes us
13-year-olds boys in the locker room.
moving on!
the crucial step - do not forget to brush half a stick of melted butter on top of the stuffing. actually, this is probably a crucial step in any recipe. so, yeah.
and there she is. the perfect side dish. or dinner. i mean - carbs, protein and veggies? full meal y'all!
what's your favorite thanksgiving dish?
more importantly, how wide is your oven?

7 comments:

  1. This looks mighty tasty! My fave Thanksgiving side is my mom's sweet potato souffle. OMG. It's basically heaven in a casserole dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish, hands down. My sister is actually having two kinds of stuffing this year, just for me! And thank you for introducing me to the word mirepoix! Pretty sure I'm going to think of ways I can use it and impress people with my culinary terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to slap me for saying this but I loathe stuffing! It gives me the heebies. But on another note, I learnt a new word: mirepoix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I love stuffing. I think mashed potatoes and gravy are my Thanksgiving favorite, but stuffing comes in a close second. I've never had meat in mine though, which is interesting. I'll think on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my tummy is now grumbling! yum !

    http://missmollyfashions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Colleen,
    What time should I be over?

    XO, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, i know exactly how you feel. i have a love hate relationship with stuffing. lol. this looks delish. thanks, love. I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I've got a new outfit post inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Love to hear what you think. xo

    http://fashboulevard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...