Monday, November 21, 2011

on recipe books.

so christmas is coming. i know, thanksgiving is coming even sooner. like in a few days. but humor me. since college i have wanted to get a book to hold my recipes. as more time has gone on and i've started to make certain dishes time and time again, i've gotten a little tired of pulling them up on the internet for reference. so this year i think i'm going to ask for a recipe book from my mom, and ask her to put in a few of her favorite recipes before she gives it to me (mainly her amazing lasagna recipe). i think it will be nice to have a book filled with recipes in both of our handwriting that i can pass on.
so, without further ado, let's look at the candidates!
via here.
i've had my eye on this one for years. seriously. you think i whould have just bought it by now. i really like that it's broken up into sections, and i think the binder clips make it easy to flip through. it helps that it's not bound since i'll be using it so much and the binding could eventually break.
however, it's not quite as colorful or personalized as the next two.
via here.
this one can come in many different colors, you can title it whatever you want, and i like the way the recipe pages are set up.
but this next one is also pretty badass. again you can personalize it, but i don't think i like the recipe pages as much. however, look at that sweet design on the front!
via here.
here's what the inside looks like.
finally, there's an old vintage one that i like. it's under $10, so i think i may just get it for myself.
via here.
i had this item bookmarked and it sold. then, lo and behold, another vintage store on etsy had the same book! ahhh, the magic of etsy. it also is broken up into sections, just what i like.
so what do you think dear readers? which one do you vote for? or, is there another great option i'm missing out on?

12 comments:

  1. Thank you! You've just added something to my wishlist, as well as a gift idea for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going on my wishlist too! I have some many random pieces of paper with scribbled recipes stuffed in my kitchen drawer. The first one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one is my favorite! I have ring binder recipe books and I LOVE that they won't wear out and I can flip quickly to what I need. Plus I like that it then stays flat on the counter so I can read the recipe easily without having to prop the book open. The ones I use actually have plastic sleeves that fit 2 recipe cards, so that way if I make a mess while I'm cooking (like that ever happens), it doesn't stain the pages and I can just wipe it off. I got all of mine at Hallmark...they are cute but probably not as fun as your vintage/etsy finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri - I think you've convinced me that binder clips are the way to go. And I've loved that recipe book for a long time now. Can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made myself a recipe box from a little wood chest I got at Hobby Lobby. I used scrapbook supplies to make cute little dividers. I like to be able to take out the recipe cards and look at them. I made it for my bridal shower, and asked my guests to bring their favorite recipes to start me off. I also ordered some adorable cards from etsy.

    I have a binder too, I just haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I love how the first one is refillable - you never know how many recipes you're going to gather! Right now I just have a janky looking, food-stained folder, so I'm definitely asking for one of these for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. pink one:)
    Btw. Im inviting you to my amazing giveaway where price is bag full of gifts you can join it on my blog:
    www.cookieswardrobe.blogpspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the first one since you can add to it over time. I like the second one because those menu pages look so neat and orderly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the recipe book looks amazing. If only I knew how to cook and bake I could buy one for myself!
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote numero uno.

    When I got married, my mother in law got me one of these, filled with their family recipes. So cute. These books are prettier than mine, though. But it's a great thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the one with the mixer on the front. It is adorable and kinda retro looking.

    When I got married, my sister had a recipe box made for me, and had everyone at my bridal shower bring an index card with their favorite recipes. It was adorable.

    Honestly, at this point in time, I have collected so many recipes that I just print them out and keep them filed in binders in plastic sleeves. It works pretty well. I have 4 different binders for different types (like desserts or main courses). I have them separated with tabbed dividers within each binder. Not as personalized, but efficient.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the one with the mixer on front is adorable but I think I'd go with the first one. I like the binder rings, rather than binding. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to add pages to over time, if necessary. And I kinda like its simplicity, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...