Wednesday, November 2, 2011

on snow.


taken last winter in saratoga.
i don't know if you heard, but this past weekend we got our first snow in nyc. while i've made it clear that the impending winter has me worried, snow is one of my first true loves. and in the city, in fact any city i have lived in, it can be downright magical. the streets get quiet, everyone stays inside, and it feels like you're the only one there. i'll admit - i don't have to drive to work, i don't have kids who get snow days, i don't take in the train from the suburbs - most of the bad stuff that comes with snow doesn't effect me. so i understand why people don't like it. but this past weekend, even though it was october, i stood next to my window and with a huge smile on my face watched the snow swirl down to the city below.
winter - i'm ready for you. as long as you keep bringing the snow.

6 comments:

  1. I can’t believe it’s snowing in the same place that I visited a couple of weeks ago! It was so hot I thought my face was going to melt off! I totally agree with you about the snow, I get like a big kid and run to the window every 5 minutes and wait for the snow which really amuses my English work colleagues! Bring on the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do make the snow in the city sound magical! I love watching the snow fall and then looking at the virgin snow (that hasn't been walking through), but after that I start to get tired of the dirty snow and it slowly melting. Since we now live down south I doubt we will really get any snow! That will be weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have snow here in Melbourne (only in the mountains), but I really miss it! The last time I touched snow was magical.

    Belly B :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Alabama, so to me snow is a rare and wonderful thing that should stop everything (work, school, electricity...) so everyone can stay at home making snow angels and eating snow cream.

    Now I live in Omaha, where apparently no one even slows down as they rush wherever they're going (while I scream and grab the oh-shit handle screaming "we're gonna die, we're gonna die".

    So yeah, I like snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't get snow in Northern California, but when I see pictures like this I get slightly jealous. Then I remember that I do live in the suburbs and have a long commute to work and that I have never had to drive in it in my life and it is probably for the best to just enjoy it in pictures.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know my opinion on this. Snow is magic and all that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...