Thursday, November 3, 2011

on subway stories.

via here.
i have been working a lot lately. like a lot. i'm sorry if this old blog has seemed neglected, but i go in when it's pitch black, i come home when it's pitch black, and if i work less than twelve hours we're having a good day. but my co-worker and i, who both switched to a new firm together, have had it worse. sometimes we'd leave at 5 AM and be back on the subway at 8 AM the next day. we were reminiscing about those moments today - when we would look at the people around us, wonder if they had any idea what we were going through. wonder if they were going through it, too. and that's the thing about the subway. everyone has a story on it. they may be riding right after finding out they're expecting. that their mother is sick. after getting engaged. after getting fired. and it's an odd situation. you want to be alone, but to get home you have to surround yourself with a variety of strangers, traveling in a tin can to your destination.
and then, of course, there's the homeless man who has stolen what appears to be a motorized wheelchair combined with a dirt bike and is driving it up and down the car. it's not too hard to figure out what his story is.

10 comments:

  1. I often wonder about people's stories on the train too. So many different people with different expressions and reactions gathered into one space. It really is fascinating when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a fascinating thought! And - OMG - your work-schedule! Sheesh! Sounds super-intense. Proud of you for hanging in there. And I'm glad you have a friend to ride it out with you. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing out loud at your last sentence! This subway thought truly fascinates me. Actually living life in New York fascinates me! And your work schedule is insane!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Sorry about your sucky schedule. I want to hear more about the subway people, and your job! Do I even know what you do? Something with advertising, I think?? I'm a bad bloggy friend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I do not miss the subway. When I first moved to Chicago, it was all I fantasized about. But the nostalgia quickly wore off. And I mean quickly. Your work schedule is a little nuts, so I hope you are enjoying what you do. And yes, it's obvious what the homeless man's story is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mo pie - yeah, i don't love the subway here. it grates on you after awhile. the mornings are better since i go in early and they're not crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, your work schedule is officially nuts! I have to agree with the other ladies, I hate the tube! Years and years of commuting into the city sandwiched between someone’s sweaty armpit and the door that won’t close have left me traumatised by them (oh and on top of that we have no airconditioning). But when it’s quiet and cool, I do take the time to notice people and wonder what their story is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love your writing. So raw and real, but with the best sense of humor. The man with the motorized wheelchair combined with a dirt bike is fantastic!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I not only have seen that man, but I have heard his beautiful rendition of Baby, I Need Your Lovin'.

    He's one of NYC's hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. molly - i love that you've seen him too! he literally made my morning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...