Friday, January 20, 2012

on chocolate soup.

usually we post about our cooking successes on blogs. and make it look effortless. so. let's get real and talk about some not so great experiences.
to start, that picture is not of something i made. obviously.
but, like most people, i love chocolate lava cake. dark chocolate torte. chocolate cake with a gooey center. whatever you call it, i love it. it is, to me, the ultimate chocolate dessert. and when i was in college, i learned that it's not too hard to make. you know - melt some chocolate, mix in some flour, there's probably butter in there somewhere, bake in a little ramekin for fifteen minutes. it sounded very, very doable when i was 19. so i went through all the steps, i did exactly what the recipe said, and into the oven my ramekins went. oh my friends and i were so excited.
chocolate lava cake! gooey centers! oh boy!
after fifteen minutes in the oven i checked them, but they were still pretty much liquid.
"hmmm," i thought. "strange. recipe always work, right?"
so young. so naiive. those were the days.
i checked after 30 minutes. nothin' doin'. i checked after 45 minutes. a little crust had formed. maybe. and somewhere between one and two hours in the oven i came to grips with the fact that no, we would not be eating chocolate lava cake that night. but we did have very warm chocolate soup for dessert.

16 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this reminds me of the blue soup from Bridget Jones.

    I've had a ton of cooking failures (I even have a post about it!). It's obviously so disappointing when you want to succeed in making something delicious and just can't seem to get it together. But we learn a ton from our mistakes, right? I've learned that you should never follow a recipe to the tee. A 350 degree temperature in your oven is not the same 350 degree temp in my oven. Also, when a recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, I almost always put 1-2 tsps, just because I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha awesome.

    My most recent FAIL was last night when I had planned to make zucchini pizza, only to discover that my "zucchini" was actually a cucumber. Really, Alana?

    So we had lettuce wraps and cucumber tomato salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. thats hilarious. they do look very similar.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE chocolate lava cake too. It's one of those easy recipes that come out fancy.

    But chocolate soup is good too.

    While reading this, the boys pretended to be grabbing the photo and made eating noises. Maybe I should feed them some breakfast now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i laughed really hard at this on the bus. pretty sure people think i'm crazy.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha cooking failures are the best! I am the queen of them ;) This still looks so good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha cooking disasters always give me a good laugh! But only after the fact.... at the time I always get super angry when dinner flops (obviously! what a waste of my time + I'm always starving), and Caleb is always trying to calm me down saying we can order in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do the same - and of course since i'm hungry i get all fussy too. yes, i call my behavior fussy when i'm hungry.

      Delete
  6. so yummy. i had a lava cake fail once, too. i think it was a mix. you put the middle part on top and it was supposed to sink into the cake while baking, but it didn't so the whole top of the muffin pan was a gooey, chocolatey mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damn that chocolate lava cake! although it's always better when your mistakes involve chocolate. amiright?

      Delete
  7. hey, chocolate is chocolate. personally, I think warm chocolate soup sounds pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha, too funny girl. throw in some butter somewhere. trust me, there is no way i would be able to create something like this, but it looks absolutely delicious and i want some right about now!!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! I have had many baking mishaps! Like the first time I ever really baked I made carrot cake and instead of adding vegetable oil, I added olive oil! It was SO gross! Never have made that mistake again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That kind of thing has happened to me so many times. Sometimes I know it is because I am rushing, but sometimes I have no idea what I did wrong. So frustrating.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, this has happened to me too before! I am probably one of the world's worst bakers so I no longer attempt anything like this! I once baked a carrot bake that weighed so much, it fell through the baking tin. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh the same exact thing happened to me! Soo annoying, right?

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...