Thursday, January 5, 2012

on cooking and love.

slow cooker meatballs and sauce. easy to make and beyond delicious. recipe found here.
new year's weekend i was able to cook a lot. the boy went to work and i slaved over the oven like a good little housewife in training.
just joshing, kids. we all know he's gonna stay at home.
but it got to me to thinking about cooking for someone. spouse. kids. friends. family. many times during the week we make food that can be abbreviated. that is quick. that requires little thought. that gets the job of filling and nutritious done. there's not really a lot of joy in it. and that's ok. jobs and families can be tiring. not every experience with the oven needs to be blissful.
but, it still remains, that the act of cooking for someone else, can bring a lot of joy to oneself. it's a simple act - a necessary act to be precise. you've got to eat. even if someone else wasn't there, you'd be cooking. it's not like you're really doing anything that special. and yet...it is. it's like a small gift you can give to someone each day. birthdays, anniversaries, christmas. these are all well and good, but they are few and far between. a meal can be bestowed upon a loved one quite frequently. it shows effort. it shows time. it shows care. it shows love.
we make meals for ourselves everyday, and we don't think much of the time and effort we spend on it. we're just spending it on ourselves, nothing out of the ordinary. but the minute we make a meal others will partake in - it's much more satisfying. it's nice to spend time on the people you love, even though something as basic as a meal.
the connection between food, love, family, friends, a sense of togetherness. it's hard to put into words. but i am sure glad it's there.

16 comments:

  1. i agree. my grandmother actually shows her love thru cooking. not so much hugs and kisses, just food. and it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nessa - exactly! that sounds delicious too - any grandma cooking anything is usually delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I've been cooking for Caleb every day since we've been married and it still brings me so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sherri lynn - you two are too cute. I love it. and it really does feel so good to cook for someone else! so simple and pure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a great philosophy! and so thoughtful. im not a good cook but i love to entertain others, and that brings me joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cooking for people... And also sharing the experience of cooking with others. Sometimes sharing the kitchen is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elle - entertaining is similar, I look forward to the day when my apartment is bigger and I can host dinner parties.

    Erin - love sharing the kitchen too! I like cooking at the boy's apartment because he has a bigger kitchen - my NYC one is only big enough for 1!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way about cooking. Thank goodness my skills have progressed and evolved in the 10 years I have been with my husband! When we first were married, I am sad to say I actually burnt spaghetti noodles. More than once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. amie - but that's cooling right? we get better as we go. I hope in ten years I'm jut as happy to be cookin for the same guy. love that you still are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this - it's such an endearing post. And i agree with it completely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since my life really revolves around food, this post really resonated with me. I love cooking for people - especially my guy as he loves food more than anyone else I know (he will happily gobble up my burnt experiments and claim they were delicious) and there is no greater joy for me than cooking for someone who loves food! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those slow cooker meatballs look amazing, and I could not agree more that food is definitely an expression of love! I find that it is therapeutic for me after a long day and one of the ways I can show my love for my husband! You are a great wife! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great great post! I started a dinner club so I could cook for friends of mine. It is an expression of love-and my friends are very grateful and happy to receive the love in the form of good cooking.

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You bring up a good point. I tend to stress a bit when I am cooking for others, because I want it to be good. I want them to know how much effort I put into it (while hopefully make it seem effortless at the same time). Is that even possible?

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks delicious! I'm a new follower. I like the blog.

    Check out mines
    http://nmephotoblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...