Wednesday, January 11, 2012

on a few new things.

at the end of the year i decided to finally take the plunge and try moroccan oil for my hair. i realize this is all very 2007 to the rest of you, but when i find a product i like, i tend to stick with it. and since i don't like a lot of different products laying around, particularly in my oh so teeny tiny bathroom, that holds even more true. and i had hair products that i liked. but after always wondering if this would work, i decided to order the smallest bottle i could and try it out. i've been using it for over a month now, the bottle isn't halfway done, and i'm a total believer. my hair is absolutely softer and healthier. 2007 - you were right. this product is the bomb.
i got mine here on amazon.
next is a new mascara i've been using - when i went to visit the boy for new year's eve i conveniently forgot my bag of make-up behind. i mean, who wears make-up on new year's eve? so overrated. but, aiming to not look like a scrub on the holiday, i headed down to the local Price Chopper (yes, that's the name of the grocery store), and decided on this mascara.
via here.
a friend recently gifted me with a maybelline mascara from their volume express line (still in that forgotten bag of make-up sitting in my apartment), so i decided to do a little comparison and buy a different version from the line. and i love this one. the first couple of times it's a bit much (one coat will do the trick), but from there on out it's smooth sailing. and yes, it really does do a good job of separating your lashes - the best i've ever seen so far. i normally wear dior mascara - i bought it with a gift certificate from sephora in high school and was hooked - but this is clearly a more affordable option. we'll see if i go back.
any new discoveries to share in the new year readers? beauty, or otherwise, i'd love to hear about it.

18 comments:

  1. I am totally trying that Moroccan hair oil! My hair has been so dried out lately, so I've been looking for different solutions - this post was perfect timing! Do you know anythig about the shampoo and conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Colleen thank you thank you thank you! I put Moroccan oil in my virtual shopping basket every week only to take it out again because it's a little pricey! I've been dying to know if it truly works! I have made a few good (and cheap) discoveries lately which I am doing a post on next week but have you heard of the hairbrush called Tangle Teezer? I bought one last year and I swear by it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. laura - i don't, and unfortunately i don't know anyone who uses it. i'm definitely tempted to get it now that i know this works so well. right now i use loreal sulfate-free shampoo (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/%23/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:brandpage:EverPure|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}&cid=lorus_rm_Google_Haircare+B+Sulfate+Free_Sulfate+Free), the moisture kind, and i really like it. not having sulfates in your shampoo can do wonders for your hair - however i also highlight my hair so you may not like this line, seeing as how it's for color-treated hair. HOWEVER, i also know that it's good for your hair to wash it every few days with a different shampoo, so now i'm thinking of getting the Moroccan oil shampoo/conditioner and use that as my secondary shampoo/conditioner since this product worked so well. sorry for writing you a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. meghan - trust me, i also shied away from the price for awhile, but this bottle for $16 was worth it. plus, i'm pretty sure it's going to last me three months at the rate i've been using it now, and i have long, thick, hair. so definitely try it out! i can't wait to see your post on the products you've found - i haven't heard of that brush but i'm looking it up now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our minds are totally in the same place because I also bought Moroccoanoil for the first time in December! I LOVE it! When we went to visit family for Christmas I got compliments on how healthy and shiny my hair looked and it was all due to the Moroccanoil. I'm glad I'm not the only one that discovered it 5 years too late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so the moroccan oil really does work? I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so weird - I just bought the Loreal sulfate-free shampoo the other day! It's the kind that's not for colored hair (although I saw yours at the store too). Today was the first time I've tried it, so we'll see if it helps after some time! Hopefully a combination of the Moroccan oil & the sulfate-free shampoo will help out. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. laura - that is too funny! i hope the combo works for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I've been contemplating Moroccan oil for awhile, but never took the plunge to actually try it. I might just have to give it a shot! Thanks for the recommendation!

    xx Melina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dior mascara too but I have been looking for a more reasonable brand to alternate with it! I will definitely be trying this kind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well thank goodness for the Price Chopper!

    I feel very much like you with the moroccan oil except I am still living in 2007 since I've yet to try it. How does one use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just put a dime-sized dab of oil on your hands, work through your hair starting at the ends, and blow-dry like you normally do. also, it cuts down on blow-drying time - also awesome.

      Delete
  12. Confession: I have Moroccan Oil, and I am not exactly sure how to use it.

    I do love Dior Iconic mascara:)

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know. it's going to be hard to break my dior habit. (victoria beckham would be proud of that sentence).

      for the Moroccan oil, just put a dime-sized bit of oil in your hands, work through your hair, starting at the bottom, and blow-dry like you normally do. done and done.

      Delete
  13. I really need to get me some Moroccan oil - keep meaning to xx

    www.southmoltonststyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha, yes you should have listened to the hype about Moroccan Oil, it really is amazing! And for the record, the cheaper versions that have come out recently claiming to be the exact same product are not a patch on it!

    I have never tried the mascara, but from your description I would probably like it... adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the same mascara I use! I've tried others, but I always come back to this one. It's the best!

    And I've never heard of Moroccan oil...so I guess I'm stuck in 2006.

    As for new discoveries, I've never been a liquid eyeliner person but now it's my favorite part of getting dressed up! I used Physician's Formula (it's a felt tip, like a marker) and make a dramatic wing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh awesome! I have been wondering about the Moroccan oil as well! I need to get a bottle! Also-Price Chopper...is he from the Midwest?

    As far as products that I love NARS-Laguna for Bronzer and NARS-Orgasam for Blush...I started using them 3 months ago-and nothing else seems that great anymore.

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...