Wednesday, January 25, 2012

on a new city.

i was talking with a friend who is currently in the middle of rotations for medical school, and her rotations are taking her everywhere: vermont, west palm beach, maine. and after my weekend in new orleans, i got to thinking about living in new and different places. if i could live anywhere - anywhere in the us and the world, no matter how impractical - where would i go? for america the answer came pretty easily to me - savannah or charleston. both of these cities and their deep south cultures fascinate me, along with the fact that the people who live there provide very colorful entertainment. i probably wouldn't be able to get a job i liked there, or i might have trouble fitting in, but whatever - this experiment is about impracticality. if you could live somewhere and make it work financially and all that good stuff, where would it be. i love nyc, and i'd love to live in nashville again, but i'm just saying - it would be beyond cool to try my hand at charleston or savannah.
via here.
outside of america it's a bit harder. while living on the coast of italy sounds amazing and relaxing and delicious, i do think i'd get a bit bored after while. then i thought i could go with a place in asia - i think i'd really be pushing myself to try something new - and tokyo sprung to mind. the fashion, creativity, food (holy sushi!) would be so different and provide so many new experiences - but i've never been there. i'd like to wet my toes before jumping in the pool, ya know?
therefore, i'm going with madrid.

i went to madrid the summer after graduation and fell head over heels with that city. the rest of spain that i saw also won my heart. in madrid i could have amazing food and a completely different culture, and would discover completely new parts of the country, too, with weekend sojourns.
isn't day dreaming fun? i just went from savoring a bowl of shrimp and grits in charleston to taking a siesta in spain. what about you - where would you like to live?

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I've actually never been to Charleston, but from what I've seen from blogs, photos, etc. I think I would love it.

    Then again, I wouldn't mind San Francisco. Or any major city. I like the hustle and bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is exactly what I've been daydreaming my whole life! I've always wanted to live internationally for a time... when I was in college I assumed my career would eventually take me to China but I got married and moved with Caleb's job instead. I would still love to live in China again... or anywhere in Europe is a dream but like you, I want to try it out before I relocate my entire life. Oh and I'd totally be down with your Charleston dream...come be a south carolinian with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes - even more of a reason to make that dream a reality!

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favourite topics! It's so hard to pick just one! Ever since my trips to the Cotswolds, I have longed for the slow pace of life and the picturesque scenery but like you, I think I would be bored too easily. At the moment, the current favourite is Sydney but this is bound to change again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh fun. Within the U.S. I'd want to live in San Diego (beach house in OB) or in a Victorian in downtown SF (providing our income quadrupled, obviously). Some other places I love: Portland, Savannah, and San Luis Obispo.

    Abroad is harder bc I'm extremely poorly traveled. But I'd like to live in New Zealand, Okinawa, Spain, or somewhere ever-tropical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - so it's decided. We'll move to Savannah for a bit and then Spain for a bit and have the time of our lives.

      Delete
  5. I would have to say Southern California, somewhere fancy like a beach house in Malibu. And abroad-- Paris, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...