Friday, January 13, 2012

on a perfect nyc bagel.

my preference is sesame. now you know.
we've talked here before that to be a new yorker you need to find three things: your sandwich spot, your pizza spot, and your bagel spot. and you have to proclaim them as the best in all of nyc. because their yours, in your hood. and that's the way it goes. and today we talk about the second holy grail:
the bagel.
bagels are second only to pizza in the arguments they inspire about what is the best in the city. here's what i know: the best bagels are warm - if you don't get it toasted, it's still warm from the oven. it is fresh to death. next, it's fairly doughy. the outside is crisp, but the inside is filled with pockets of air and dough that's a touch undercooked - a product of coming fresh out of the oven. if you disagree with anything i just wrote, there is a very good chance you are a communist. or a fascit. or canadian.
sidenote: totally kidding.
communisits and canadians
are welcome at this blog,
as is everyone else.
but seriously, canadians.
your montreal bagels worry me.
i told you this was a polarizing subject.
now, what you want to put on your bagel? free game. what's your favorite type of bagel? free game. the boy loves egg and bacon on a cinnamon-raisin bagel. i know - kind of weird. but let me tell you - also delicious. try it sometime. so have it any way you want. have it your way, in fact. that does not mean you should get your bagels from mcdonald's, though.
my two recommendations for great bagels in the city are, one - ess-a-bagel. this is not my favorite shop, but there are a few locations in the city. as a tourist visiting and staying in who knows what part of the city, see if a location is close to you. and then go get a bagel. be forever changed. they're fabulous, but not quite as good as my second, and real, close to my heart recommendation. gramercy bagel. it's a random, small, bagel shop near me. i went there because it was close by and i promptly fell in love. the bagels are heavenly. they toast them until they're super hot. they give little kids free cookies. it's just awesome. it's tasty. it's new york. i love it.
and now you know all about the perfect nyc bagel. next time in how to be a new yorker, pizza...

10 comments:

  1. I am in need of a real nyc bagel! My favorite is plain, and I like lots of butter on it. Pretty boring but what can I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever make it to NYC (I have been trying to make this happen for YEARS and still haven't been) I am writing down all your favorite spots before I go! This bagel place sounds heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the sound wonderful. So nice to meet you just found your beautiful blog and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, wonderful to meet new friends. Hope you find a spare minute to visit me sometime follow back if you like. Sending you special wishes for a wonderful New Year I’m looking forward to keeping in touch in 2012.
    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo're making me want a bagel adn I just ate biscuits about an hour ago! Gah :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guy vowed to move to New York just for the bagels alone! He tried a salmon and cream cheese bagel (forget where) and we had to observe a minute silence just to celebrate it's awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMm I love bagels! Sesame is my fav too! Well, maybe it's a tie with Asiago. We were just in NYC the other week and I didn't get a bagel. GASP! Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I wish for a good NYC bagel here in California. Hot and doughy and crusty on the outside. I die! You are so lucky to have that at your back door!!!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo these look beyond yummy. great post, love. thanks so much for sharing. if you get a moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am all about the everything bagel. With cream cheese. Not toasted, because it makes the cream cheese runny and I am just not having that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...