Tuesday, February 28, 2012

on an anniversary.

via here.
so here we are. one whole year of blogging (please, dear god, whatever you do, don't go back and read my early posts. they're truly horrifying.) blogging was my new year's resolution. after growing up playing piano and doing theater, i felt like the creative side of me was lacking. in the fall of 2009 i discovered rockstar diaries, which at the time was fairly small (relative to where it is now). i would sit in my cubicle at 3 in the morning, shivering because they turned the heat off to be a "green" building, and would read about her adventures in nyc and her move to dc and her husband and, eventually, and most importantly, her bulldog. they wore interesting clothes and they took pictures with a diana camera and as i worked 100-hour week after 100-hour week, it was so fun to use her life, basically, as an escape. and it reminded me that one does not need to be in an organized activity to be creative. so i got a diana camera. and i discovered a few more blogs. and i left that job. and so, i decided to start a blog. to write more. to take more pictures. to interact with other people. and like to think of it as two categories...
what i expected
~ that making this public would hold me accountable. sure, i could keep a diary. or a closed blog. but making it public has made me more accountable. it makes me sit down and write and think of something new to ponder about. i like it.
~ that i would enjoy looking back on what i did the past year. i've loved this part of it. i like seeing the pictures and reading my thoughts from that time. i'm interested to see what an older colleen thinks of a younger colleen. one day.
~ that i would like it this much. i really do look forward (most days) to blogging. it is a release. and i knew it would be. it's fun. and it's a nice way to end the day.
what i didn't expect
~ that loved ones would discover my blog. basically, no one knows about this blog. i have told two people - my boyfriend and my friend tina - because they would be featured on here a lot and i want them to know that and, if uncomfortable with that, tell me so. but the internet isn't as small as you would think - a friend from high school and my college roommate stumbled upon my blog on their own. and i love it. i want to feel free to write anything i want, but when people find it by happenstance, it doesn't put pressure on m or make me self-conscious. they totally become just another person out there reading. and i love that they get to see this part of me and read my posts and nothing about my writing has changed. (you should have seen my roommate's face when she told me she found my blog. priceless).
~ that my boyfriend would read it. after i told him, he has become a daily reader, and since we're in a long-distance relationship, it means a lot. when you don't see one another every day, any form of communication will do. i like that he reads it everyday because it feels like he's thinking of me. and wouldn't you know - i like that.
~ you guys. oh my gosh. you guys, you guys. i knew other people would read this - i want them to! otherwise i wouldn't put this all out there. and i knew i'd get comments. but never, ever, did it occur to me i would find daily readers - people who comment every week (or day!) and whose blogs i enjoy reading. people who get to know me and i get to know them. i can't even believe all the wonderful people this blog has brought to me. most of my experiences on this internet land of blogs have been so, so good. supportive, sweet, funny, wonderful, caring people. we're not perfect but we support one another and share our lives and try to figure out this human experience a little bit, if at all. and i just want to thank you so much if you stop by here regularly - you know who you are and i truly consider you friends. even if our paths never cross and we never meet, know that you've got a friend in me and i truly, truly, appreciate you.

18 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! yay! happy birthday ordinary tales!!

    I am SO SO happy I found your blog. It's now one of my go-to reads every single day. I feel like I am getting to know you more and more with each post and I LOVE it.

    ALso, this is such a great post. Love all the things you expected, but more so, the ones you didn't expect. Those were the ones that really made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am so so happy too - because i read yours everyday, too! just another example of the last point i made. thank you so much for coming here everyday - i have a feeling our paths will cross in nyc or boston, and i can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Love this. And I completely agree with that first point. I considered making my blog private, but I probably would have stopped about a year ago. Making it public was the best decision. I feel more inspired to write (almost) every day. It keeps me sharp!

    Happy 1-year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? it totally makes you get the job done. thanks for stopping by here so much jillian - and i love your blog and seeing more of nyc through it.

      Delete
  3. Happy one year of blogging! I love your different lists of what you expected and what you didn't expect. I also didn't expect building friendships with other bloggers, but it's one of my favorite things about blogging! I'm so glad you decided to start blogging! Your posts always make me think (and a lot of them make me laugh!), and sometimes they even lead to a conversation about it with Caleb. I'm so glad we're friends, and keep on blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri Lynn - I have loved getting to know you through your blogging. maybe it's because you're from Virginia, maybe it's your amazing recipes - whatever It is I am thankful our blogs found one another (and my boyfriend is thankful, too. he loves your recipes). i enjoyed hearing that you and Caleb discuss some posts - so cool. here's to another year!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to your bloggy and congrats to you Colleen! I'm so glad I discovered your blog - I honestly don't feel like my day is complete without stopping by to hear about your shenanigans. You have the ability to make me laugh out loud, drool at my computer screen or ponder life in my lunch break and best of all, you make it look effortless! Here's to another year of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Meghan! and of course yours helps start my day off thanks to your London time change (and it's always beautiful pictures. always!) I'm glad you like what I post - hopefully that will continue in the coming year.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your blog!! So exciting! I love that you posted what you expected and what you didn't expect. I think that's an awesome way to look at a lot of things in life! When I started mine, I didn't realize it would turn into a creative outlet for me, but I'm so glad it did. Maybe you are more in tune with your emotional needs since you realized that haha.

    I LOVE reading your blog. It's one of the few "deep and inspiring" blogs I follow and truly love the topics you choose to write on and your unique point of view. I, like you, did not expect to make "blog friends" but it has been so fun and I'm thankful you're one of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laura - I agree, I am so thankful too! I've been going through yor archives recently and have really enjoyed it. thank you so much for saying that you like what I write here - helps give me a little more confidence to keep doing it. here's to a new year of friendship :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on 1 year! So so exciting! I love the outlook that you have shared with us about the expected and the unexpected! I also love that you have enjoyed looking back at your past year! I'm approaching my 1 year anniversary of my blog-and I am also so grateful to have found your blog and your allegiance to my blog! All my best to another great year!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - you've been a reader for so long, and i've always appreciated your kind words on my writing. here's to our blogs!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on one year of blogging! Reading that post was so inspirational...I just started my blog in October and I really need to buckle down and get more serious about posting. I feel the same way you do that blogging is a great creative release, and reading other people's blogs and alittle bit about someone else's life is really amazing. Thanks for sharing your experience! xoxo Nina

    http://outsidethebricks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has it been a year already? Wow! Congratulations-- and right back atcha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you were my first follower! I'll never forget that :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on a year of blogging! I always enjoy popping in to read your latest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! You were one of my first readers, too - something I don't forget :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...