Thursday, February 9, 2012

on the best concert.

via here.
i recently was talking about the best concert i've ever attended, and for me it was a pretty easy choice. in the spring of 2005 i went to see U2 in concert in philadelphia. my friend and i were in the last row of a huge arena, but from the moment it started, the two of us and everyone around us could tell it was going to be a special night. with every song it was as if the transcendent quality of their music built. but what took the night to another level was the was the way the concert closed. U2 has an old song, 40, that is based on psalm 40 in the bible. it's pretty short and pretty repetitive, an easy one for the audience to sing along with, even if they hadn't heard it before. and above all, it's just a beautiful song. bono sang the song and kept repeating the chorus, as an arena of 40,000 sang back to him.
and then he left the stage. and those 40,000 kept singing.
after a few more minutes, the edge left the stage.
and we kept singing. it was crazy and completely amazing. 40,000 strangers going along as 1. it was very U2, and it was very perfect.
finally, the bass player, adam clayton left, and it was just us and their drummer. and we kept singing, 40,000 strong. finally, after a few minutes he got up, took a bow, and left the stage as the crowd went crazy. it was, hands down, the coolest thing and the best way i've seen a concert end, ever.
"music can change the world, because it can change people." -- bono

5 comments:

  1. That's crazy! No wonder it was your favorite concert ever. If I were there I would've had chills/maybe a tear. Love the quote that ended this post! I hope you have a great weekend Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post because I know exactly what that feels like.

    I've never seen U2, but I've been to a lot of Dave Matthews concerts where I just feel this amazing energy in the crowd. It's really special to be a part of something like that.

    I can just picture this concert that you went to and I get the shivers in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the energy of a crowd like that is really such a cool feeling. I've got to get to a DMB concert in Saratoga springs!

      Delete
  3. wow, this gave me chills! Now I have to hear this song!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...