Thursday, February 23, 2012

on a recipe to accompany a recipe.

as i said in my 2011 year round-up, this recipe was the one i made the most last year. i absolutely love it - delicious, easy and healthy. so when i stumbled upon this recipe that used such similar ingredients, down to the cumin i still have yet to procure, i was all over it. it's another food and wine recipe, and while food and wine rarely, if ever, fails me, this little number called for way, way too much salt. when i was making it this thought crossed my mind and i just happened to be right. the next time i make this i will halve the amount of salt it calls for - just use one tsp. and not two - or maybe even just a few shakes. even through the overpowering salt flavor though, i could tell this recipe is a keeper. the sweetness of the golden raisins (my favorite!) mixed with the crunchy almonds is great.
in addition to the ingredients above you'll need salt (not a lot!) and cumin. just like when i made the salmon, i didn't have any cumin on hand. i didn't use paprika in it's stead, like i do with the salmon, and i love cinnamon so much (my secret spice) that i was happy to leave it out. this recipe would also taste good with pine nuts, instead of almonds, if you have those on hand. 
while you toast the almonds in a pie pan, boil the water containing the butter, cinnamon, salt and cumin (or lack thereof). once it reaches a boil, stir in the couscous, remove from the heat, and let it sit five minutes.
after five minutes, fluff the couscous. this is probably one of my favorite things to think about - fluffing couscous. you think of fluffing blankets and pillows and billowy skirts, not grains. and yet, due to it's airy nature, there is no better way to describe it other than "fluffing" when you stir it up a bit with a fork.
add the raisins and almonds and voile - you're done! just as easy as the main course, which it pairs wonderfully with.
and with that you can go watch that episode of parks and rec on hulu you've been meaning to get around to. or 30 rock. or downtown abbey. whatever it is the kids are into these days.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, so you're making this sound really good. I've had couscous twice and I hated it. I can't say if it was the way it was prepared or the brand? Point is, I might keep this recipe on the side for when I want to attempt couscous again. I trust your taste.

    And speaking of which, I tried that recipe last night...the one with the chicken in white wine and parmigiano reggiano you linked to a few weeks ago. It was great! Definitely on my regular rotation now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, couscous can be a little lackluster. i find that with the cinnamon, raisins and almonds, this really took care of that problem.

      isn't that recipe great? it's in my regular rotation, too. i'm thinking it needs it's own post sometime soon. so delicious.

      Delete
  2. YUM! I will have to try making this whole entire plate sometime soon! I love Salmon!

    I saw that last picture on Instagram last night and it made my mouth water. MMmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious...and healthy! Perfect dinner option!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fluffing couscous!! The mental picture I get is so fun and I love when a recipe calls for this :) I have seen similar recipes of couscous with golden raisins and have yet to try it. You've convinced me it's time. Butter, cinnamon, and nuts are always the start of a delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes kill me lady. This looks amazing! I just gave up all meat and fish for Lent so I'm thinking about making the couscous as my main course with a salad. Oh man ... I'm hungry already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perfect timing! i did that for lent once - the lamb i had on easter was aboslutely delicious. just remember to cut back on the salt and you'll love it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...