Wednesday, March 28, 2012

on a fancy loaf of meat.

meatloaf is a funny word, isn't it? to think about a loaf of meat. it's funny to me. yet, i love it. i loved it when i was little. i love a restaurant where my parents live that serves it. and i love this fancy variation:
say what?
yup, it's amazing. and i think a little better for you than normal meatloaf because it uses turkey. perhaps the pancetta cancels that out. oh well.
the recipe calls for whole milk but i only had skim on hand. it also, clearly, calls for pancetta, but my grocery store only had prosciutto on hand. prosciutto, pancetta - makes no difference. still delicious.
mix all of the filler ingredients together before adding in the ground turkey. to make it leaner i used ground turkey breast.
here is an example of how to lay down the prosciutto or pancetta. for the prosciutto, i laid down a piece perpendicular to where i was standing, and then formed a rectangle around the central piece, layering each additional piece.
while the recipe says you can just wrap up the loaf, i like to put a few pieces on top of the meatloaf to ensure that it covered by the prosciutto. after wrapping it up in the parchment or wax paper, i place it in a loaf pan to form it into that wonderful loaf shape. i then put the wrapped loaf back on the baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes. if you are using leaner meat, like i did, you can cook for a little less time to make sure it doesn't dry out.
and viola! there it is. when i make it for dinner i usually don't make it a sandwich, but i do serve with the arugula mayonnaise (which is so, so good). i put a few tablespoons of mayo in a food processor, along with a handful of arugula, and pulse it a few times. depending on the consistency, i add in a little more arugula or mayo. it should be very smooth and vibrant green.
this recipe is great for dinner, picnics, can be served warm, cold, any way really, and it always tastes fabulous. who knew meatloaf could be fancy?
enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. This looks really great. It looks like a dish Giada would make. She puts prosciutto and pancetta on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE MEATLOAF!!

    So good! And your fancy kind looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...this looks SO good! As I mostly avoid meat now, it's been forever since I've had meatloaf...but I have a fantastic recipe from my grandmother with sour cream in it...it is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meatloaf needs a name update. It is SO delicious but when people hear "meatloaf" they get grossed out, and I am not okay with this! Your version sounds super fancy and delicious - I love trying new variations of meatloaf! A couple of weeks after we were married I made what I thought was going to be the most amazing meatloaf. It was quite time consuming and I was so excited for Caleb to take a bite and exclaim it was the best meatloaf he'd ever had. But he didn't like it! He couldn't even finish it! I threw the whole thing in the trashcan and cried. Eventually I got over it and have ventured out to new variations again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?! such a bad name. and I am SO sorry about your meatloaf!!! although I feel like that's such a rite of passage for newlyweds. and yes, it also made me chuckle a little bit.

      Delete
  5. OH MY WORD. You have taken meatloaf to a whole new level. I applaud you. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say "oh my word" all the time. love it. and yes, wrapping things in prosciutto is always going to help in the amazing department.

      Delete
  6. I'm just catching up on your recent posts, and I'm glad I did. This looks amazing! I like the idea of having it sliced for dinner, then sandwich leftovers. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This looks INCREDIBLE!!! I immediate saved this in my Food Network folder! Thanks for introducing me to this new way to do meatloaf. My hubbie and I both LOVE it :) Catching up on your blog now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...