Wednesday, March 7, 2012

on new orleans: what to eat.

from the moment the plane touched the ground, i was ready to eat in new orleans. literally. i made a reservation for two hours after we landed. no wasting time here!
first stop was commander's palace in the garden district for lunch. we ate in the garden room (be sure to request this!) and enjoyed their three-course $32 prix fixe. they also have a $16 and $22 two-course prix fixe, along with an a la carte menu. best thing though? 25 cent martinis at lunch. if you want to be a lady who lunches and get some bang for your buck, this is the spot.
that night we went to galatoire's with my parents (and i wore my favorite outfit of the vacation, just a little fyi). it was quintessential new orleans and great food. they let you bring in your to-go cup from whence you came (which, is like, amazing and so weird), and ask if you prefer a certain waiter due to the large amount of regulars that frequent this place. the fish here is divine, but no need to be a fish lover - i heard the steak was great, too. for a true taste of new orleans fine dining, this is one of the places to be.
down the road is arnaud's, where the bridal luncheon was held, and also where the mardi gras museum is located, mentioned in my post yesterday. on bourbon street like galatoire's, it has similar food and ambience. a huge restaurant made up of a maze of rooms (at least the upstairs), it's a great place to have a group meal if you come to new orleans with some friends or just a one on one date.
for something more casual head to pat o'brien's for new orleans' signature drink, the hurricane. one of these is best enjoyed after a delicious burger from yo mama's, which is across the street. the menu is crazy and i went all out - the peanut butter bacon burger. you may think i'm crazy or pregnant, but i assure you i'm neither (well, definitely not the latter). it was so, so, good. try it when you go, or any other crazy combination they come up with. be warned, the bathroom contains some, shall we say, adult images, so this may not be a place for kids (or at least make them pee somewhere else). i told you this city had character, right?
the stuff i didn't get to? green goddess, mother's, central grocery and herbsaint. green goddess for an off the beaten path breakfast, including black truffle grits that my friend tina indulged in, mother's for an over-priced but delicious po' boy, central grocery for a true new orleans muffelatta and, if there's any money left in your wallet, a nice dinner at herbsaint. a little more quiet and focused on cuisine then say galatoire's or arnaud's.
basically, you can't go wrong in this city. here's to going back one day and doing it all over again!
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name

10 comments:

  1. Pics look yummy! I'll definitely take these into consideration if/when I visit New Orleans. Commander's sounds great...I love a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you tried so many different places! The pictures all look delicious and they sound like legit New Orleans places. Peanut butter bacon burger?? That does sound like a preggo lady's combination but I'm glad you liked it! :)

    p.s. you look AMAZING in that black and white outfit! just gorgeous, colleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! it was all the outfit. you are too sweet.

      Delete
  3. I still can't believe I never went to New Orleans (and I was so close!) but I will definitely come back to these posts when I do. Your photos made me so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh I am so jealous, New Orleans is still on my travel to do list!!! I LOVE the jacket you wore to dinner but my fave is the dress in the first photo, you look so 50's chic!!! Also, is 1:30 PM too early for me to have a Hurricane???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha - you know it's not girl! especially true if you're in the big easy! thanks - I love that dress too, from forever 21! that store never ceases to amaze me.

      Delete
  5. OOOOOO my everything sounds SO delicious. I love when trips are all about food. As they should be, of course. :)

    (well, I guess and your friend getting married too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad you didn't get to Herbsaint or Mother's. Cochon is amazing as well Donald Link can do no wrong. You will just have to make another trip to NOLA. So many places to eat and so little time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the suggestion! I was bummed I missed out on the others, but it's just a great excuse to get back there soon!

      Delete
  7. I have absolute food and drink envy from this post. I want to make it out there so badly, and just eat my way through the city.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...