Thursday, March 15, 2012

on removing asparagus from the recipe.

i despise asparagus. des.pise. and i know many people out there love it. but it comes in a close second to brussels sprouts in the category "green things that ruffle my feathers". (and yes, i know some crazy people who love brussels sprouts. to those people i say: i seriously doubt your american citizenship). but growing up in my house we had few sprouts and lots of spears of asparagus. at the age of ten i struck a deal with my parents, a deal which is still in place to this day. it's basically my treaty of versailles if you'll allow me that grossly exaggerated metaphor. and the deal is this:
when asparagus is served at the dinner table,
colleen is to eat three,
and only three spears of asparagus.
no more. no less.
no guilt trips.
no punishments.
to this day my mother "forgets" when i come home to visit, makes asparagus and has the gall, the absolute gall, to say "i thought you loved asparagus?!" i have promptly told her that she better watch it or i'll put her in a home that is not ranked favorably with the better business bureau.
just joshin'! (maybe.)
which leads me to this recipe. it sounded so, so delicious. but roasted asparagus with my pasta? no thank you. until i read the footnote - you can substitute broccoli - my favorite of all the vegetables! i was thrilled. and so i present penne with roasted broccoli and balsamic butter. it's kind of healthy but it does use a whole stick of butter so...i don't know. but it is delicious.
what i like about this recipe is that all of these ingredients are pretty much staples, except the broccoli. just pick some up at the store during the week though, and you're set. i first put my broccoli in the oven at 400 degrees with some salt, pepper and olive oil and didn't have to think about it for a bit.
next, i reduced my balsamic as the recipe instructs while my water boiled. i would recommend *not* doing this. it reduced quickly and even after you take if off the heat it continues to do so and thicken into a syrup. i would say that once your pasta is cooking, start reducing the balsamic so it's timed better.
so reduce the vinegar and then add in a bit of brown sugar and pepper as the recipe instructs. and when the pasta is done cooking mix it all up, along with some shredded parm and the butter.
if you must know, it is delicious paired with a glass of a light red wine. i figured you'd want that piece of information.

17 comments:

  1. I'll give you brussel sprouts. But asparagus? Love! Although, I'm not crazy about in pastas - I prefer it on its own. So yeah, broccoli - good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broccoli. Mmm, girl. In pasta, love it, raw, hate it. So we're good!

    I had brussel sprouts once in Germany...they were battered and fried, so they spoke to my Southern heart. Hope we can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. battered and fried?!?! now we're talking. I'd at least try that for sure. I mean, rarely does that not make somehing taste better.

      Delete
  3. This sounds REALLY good. You had me at the balsamic. Yum, baby, yummmmm.

    I chuckled at the deal you made with your parents and love how your mom always "forgets".

    AND!

    I love how you love to cook. I don't really, but this recipe is something that looks easy enough! Zan is the real chef over here. I'd be eating scraps of lettuce and frozen pizzas most nights if it wasn't for him. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's nothing like a good frozen pizza every now and then though - hello trader joe's!

      Delete
  4. Oh Colleen, I don’t know if we can be friends anymore! I adore asparagus and could have it every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. What exactly about it do you dislike? I have a friend who gets weirded out by its stringy texture if it is overcooked which I can understand, stringy veg gives me the heebies too. As for the recipe, any pasta dish with parmesan and a green veg is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know - so many people love it, but it just tastes awful to me, what can I say!

      Delete
  5. I love the agreement with your patents! I'm crazy, though, because I love asparagus AND Brussels sprouts :) don't even try to feed me a cucumber, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you eat those and no cucumbers?! you are crazy ;)

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious! Although I absolutely love both asparagus and brussel sprouts and don't understand you. I put asparagus in my pasta just 2 nights ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jbot! ewwww ;) as long as we don't have any in Colorado!!

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious!
    www.alwayssaygrace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your recipe commentaries! I don't think I've ever tried brussel sprouts and I'm not a big fan of asparagus. But I think it looks so pretty I'm always tempted to try it...and usually don't like it. I like the sound of this pasta with the broccoli sub. And the entire stick of butter. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i knew it! i knew you wouldn't like asparagus either, haha. we're two peas in a pod you and i. here's to pasta with broccoli and tons of sweets for dessert!

      Delete
  9. I am literally LOL-ing at your asparagus phobia. I love it so you won't get any sympathy from me :)

    BUT OMG I might sub broccoli anyways in this recipe because it just looks amazing and broccoli is my favorite. It's so simple but never would have thought of it on my own...might just have to make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, I love both asparagus and Brussels sprouts. However, I despise avocado. My mom-in-law always has fresh guacamole for me...and i swear I have mentioned several times that I don't eat it. Neither does husband. Yet it always seems to be new information;)

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah - funny how they always forget!

      and you don't like avocado?! man i could eat that for days. invite me over when your mother-in-law stops by with some more guac ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...