Wednesday, April 25, 2012

on my muffin top cookies.

i found a vegan recipe for chocolate chip cookies at the end of grad school, and with some extra time on my hands i decided to give it a whirl. but let's make one thing clear:
i do not condone veganism.
i could go on, but we like to make this a fairly happy place where we talk about shoes and contemplate the meaning of death. so let's move on.
i changed the recipe so that it's no longer vegan. we use milk from a cow's udder and chocolate here. if you want to keep it vegan, you know what to do.
the real amazingness of this recipe is how low it is in fat and how high it is in awesomeness. no butter. no eggs. a little amount of sugar. so why would i call this healthy version of a chocolate chip cookie a muffin top cookie? nope - not because it gives you a muffin top, but because it has the consistency of a muffin top. for reals. these cookies are something special. kind of healthy and they have the springy feeling of a muffin top? it's just too much.
try these out and you'll be pleasantly surprised. i make these much more than regular chocolate chip cookies when i get a sweet tooth craving. my skinny jeans always thank me.
alright, so since this is a bit of an invention, the exact ingredients:
1 c. flour
3/4 c. oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. canola oil
1/3 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 overly ripe banana
1/2+ c. of chocolate chips
mash that ripe banana up real well, and add in all of the other ingredients. if you want this to be healthier or vegan-ier, try whole wheat flour, soy milk, raw sugar or stevia. also, be fast and loose with the amount of chocolate chips you use. 1/2 c. is just a guideline.
added bonus - there's no fear of getting sick with salmonella from eating raw batter. this is a must when you stress out after realizing you let someone borrow your cooling racks and don't have any. and stress calls for a bite (or four) of raw batter.
when you spoon them onto the sheet they'll feel, what i like to call, loosey goosey (a technical term). this batter is nowhere near as thick as regular cookie dough. you'll question it a bit. but don't worry. loosey goosey is just fine for this batter.
be sure to use parchment paper, wax paper or silicone baking mats if you have them. i rarely cover my cookie sheets when making cookies but these puppies are sticky. very sticky. if you don't cover your cookie sheets, trust me - these cookies will be ruined.
bake the cookies at 350 for 12 minutes and rotate the cookie sheet halfway through. these cookies are temperamental to the oven they cook in though, so when you check them at six minutes you may want to decrease the baking time.
this should make about two dozen cookies. two, wonderful, dozen cookies with the consistency of a muffin top that won't give you a muffin top. enjoy. 

16 comments:

  1. Fast and loose with the chocolate chips - I couldn't have said it better myself. And I am all about some muffin top cookies that don't give you a muffin top. I always like how you display your ingredients for each recipe - not the whole container like most people, just a little bit of the actual ingredient. Your smidgen of vegetable oil and vanilla are quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I've noticed when I pour wet ingredients on my board they stay in like droplet form, like the board is liquid resistant or something. lucky me for my photos!

      Delete
  2. It’s my turn for our office bake-off on Monday so these came at the right time! Thanks Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet! If you can let me know what you think/how they turn out.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE cookies! Such a weakness of mine! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look awesome!! I think I'll try them tonight!

    Last night my friends and I made brownies with applesauce instead of the oil. They were still delicious! And they're better for you. I just emailed both of them this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet! I hope you guys like these. I've also done the applesauce substitution when making brownies and have enjoyed it as well,ado this should be right up your alley.

      Delete
  5. These look so good! I like my cookies nice and soft too--no crunchy crumbly mess for me. My super-lazy way to make them it to use cake mix. So easy, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will definitely love these then!

      Delete
  6. Hi there! I'm visiting via Dear Friend, and I'm so excited to have found your blog. Looking forward to getting to know you! xoxo, eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be fast and loose with the amount of chocolate chips? I chuckled after that line. I personally like to dump in the majority of the bag. So much for no muffin top.

    Loosey Goosey had me cracking up too.

    P.S. THESE LOOK AMAZEBALLS.

    (I got that last line from Giuliana, did you catch that??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - i did!!! love that you watch the show now

      Delete
  8. Looks yum! I'm no good at making cookies but perhaps will give these a go

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! anything that's egg free catches my eye because meredith is allergic. anything that is both dessert and indulgent breakfast catches my eye, too. i'm excited to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so happy to hear that! definitely give this a try - it's easy and meredith (and you and chris) will love them. i may have just eaten two, haha!

      Delete
  10. wow. these look divine. As a thank you for helping me win Lauren Conrad's favorite blogger contest I'm doing an amazing giveaway I'd love for you to enter. I'd love for you to swing by when you get a sec. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...