Wednesday, May 23, 2012

on adventures with friends {part 2}.

after south africa that summer, we went on to spain. for all of the beauty and uniqueness of south africa, it was spain that captured my heart. perhaps i think about going back there because it's more accessible from america, perhaps it's because i'm more of a city girl, but i fell in love and i fell hard. i dream about going back to madrid and granada for a week. i would run through the streets of madrid in the morning, spotting many a club goer going home. the food in madrid was my favorite, including the extensive ice cream taste test we had, yielding (we are not proud to say) that the best was a simple cone from mcdonald's. i know. we're so american. how gauche.
but perhaps my favorite was at a long lunch when the waiter brought us limoncello shots on the house to end the meal.
and then he brought us four more.
it pays to travel with a redhead people.
madrid mcdonalds ice cream
madrid spain palace
our second stop was granada. for every dreamy sigh i had about madrid, i had a million more in granada. we arrived in time for beers and tapas in the afternoon around the corner from our hostel, taking in the tiny, quiet town square before us. that night as we wandered we heard a faint hint of music. on getting closer we found an orchestra playing john williams' theme songs in the square. it was a nice reminder of home under those granada stars, but at that point it's not like i really missed home just yet. the hills and cobblestone streets, the intricate and awe-inspiring alhambra, the slow pace of life - i dream of going back to granada alot. it's become one of those destinations that will never really leave my bucket list - if i could suggest a city in spain to visit, this would be it.
pic name pic name
granada orchestra chocolate churros
alhambra alhambra
alhambra alhambra
alhambra alhambra
alhambra alhambra
granada granada
that girl can get some serious air.
finally, there was barcelona. decidedly not our favorite. the enchantment of madrid and granda was just not there. but it's a colorful city, a lively city, and filled with delicious food. from the gaudi architecture to the boqueria, we made do, you could say. oh, and we also managed to get tickets for a U2 concert that was in town. we had to walk home three miles after the concert due to barcelona wisely shutting down the subway for the night, but it was still a great concert. and after all, we got to stop to get a pizza cone. never a bad way to end a trip.
gaudi park gaudi
gaudi cathedral gaudi cathedral
gaudi cathedral gaudi cathedral
watermelon reading a map
u2 360 sangria beach barcelona

15 comments:

  1. I want to go to Spain so badly! I'm surprised to hear that Barcelona wasn't your favorite. Not that I claim to know you so well, but because from what I hear from other people, it's their favorite part of Spain.

    I love your photos though. Looks like such a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - I hear ya! a lot of people do love it. I just thought Madrid was a nicer city and more relaxing in that sense, but a lot of people do not go to Granada and I'm telling you - it's pure magic and amazing. for reals.

      Delete
  2. well, you've done it... now I must visit Spain. soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do it!!!! I have tips and the best guidebook for you to borrow (our guidebook seriously was awesome). I loved it in June/early July. just sayin...

      Delete
  3. I would love to see Spain. I randomly really enjoy Spanish guitar music and think visiting would be magical. I love the jumping. I doubt I could get an inch off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's why i'm not posting any pictures of my jumping - i can hardly get an inch off the ground either!

      Delete
  4. Spain sounds wonderful! don't you love when places steal your heart? it's such a good feeling. You two look like so much fun to travel with - I love that you've been so many places together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I want to tag along on the next trip! ;)

      Delete
    2. i would love to have both of you :)

      Delete
  5. I am dying over here. Now I want to go travel the world!!!!!!!

    Seriously though, this series is so amazing. I love reading about your experiences and the pictures are really phenomenal.

    I think it's awesome you're doing this-- writing it all down here! What a great thing to be able to look back on! Makes me think I must do this about my trips to London and Venice... although, I think you might have a better memory than me-- mine is starting to fade and that scares me. I guess all the more reason to blog about it, right?

    Where are you guys going next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - all the more reason to blog it indeed. i hadn't really thought of that when i was writing these, but i'm glad i have a little record. we have been so, so, so lucky - in terms of time off and budgets overlapping - to have these experiences. it's never lost on us the immense opportunity we've had to see the world.

      we're going to italy next week - i'll have a good story to end the week on before i give more specifics. i. am. pumped.

      Delete
    2. LUCKY!! That is so SO awesome. I am pumped for you!

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty poorly traveled, but my experience has been that being BLONDE in foreign countries helps quite a bit too. Once, in Mexico City, I ordered a drink at a bar. The bartender said, "Blonde girls drink free!" I said, "Great. Can I have a bottle of water too, please?" He answered, "Only free alcohol for blonde girls. No free water." Nice, buddy.

    Also, take me with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - that story is awesome. no free water here lady! but feel free to drink. heavily.

      Delete
  7. Aah! This brought back memories of my trip to Barcelona where we spent the afternoons baking on the beach buying beers for 1 Euro! We didn't make it to Madrid or Granada but I am hoping we can make it there in the next couple of years! You guys look like so much fun to travel with!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...