Tuesday, May 22, 2012

on adventures with friends.

*i'm headed on a little trip this coming week with my friend katie, whom i met on study abroad in 2004. we've been fortunate enough to travel to very many places together, due to luck in timing and that we live across the country from one another - might as well go somewhere new to see one another! i'm going to do a few posts this week about some of our adventures*

katie was born in south africa. her father was there for work, but they moved away when she was little. so she didn't really remember it. we decided we wanted to go there, as it was on my bucket list too, after i graduated from grad school. it was the first stop among many, and we spent three weeks there. an absolutely beautiful country, i would go back in a heartbeat.
grown-up milkshakes.
heading up to table mountain.
contemplating life. and what to eat for dinner.


sun setting over the indian ocean.
i have two things that i really love about traveling with katie. first - our jumping pictures. we've taken jumping pictures all around the world. i could have made a post about that. but in addition to those, we also just take absolutely absurb pictures - the kind you take with your best friend, and laugh about years later when they catch your eye out of the blue.
pretending to be in a rock band in the 80's. don't be jealous.
hard-core zipliners.
but my second favorite thing is the stories we share, particuarly for katie and i. after study abroad we haven't been able to spend a lot of time together, just a few days a year. and phone calls are full of updates and going-ons. when you spend a lot of time around someone, memories come back, stories come out. like the one when katie, 2 or 3 years old, waited patiently for her parents to build her a swing-set. it was a long day and, apparently, full of frustration. she waited patiently, hanging on every word, waiting for the swing-set to be finished. finally, just before the day was over, it was assembled and ready to go. katie scrambled to the top, threw her hands over head and yelled as loudly as her little lungs would let her:
"fucking a!"
i'm sure her mother was thrilled.
biking from vineyard to vineyard.
chocolate tasting. an amazing day.

12 comments:

  1. I love it! That is so fun you have a travel buddy. I'm also pretty jealous of all the places you've traveled to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I feel very lucky - going on a study abroad helped a lot on that front.

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures! It's always nice to have someone you know you can travel with!

    Kisses from Austria,
    Simone

    geewrite! | Follow me | Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie sounds awesome. I see why you two have such a great time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is great - so nice to have a friend who can stand sharing the same room for me for weeks on end ;)

      Delete
  4. These pictures are beyond gorgeous, Colleen! How lucky you are to have such a terrific travel companion. I can't believe all the sights you've seen! Just love.

    And that pic of you 80's rock band-style? That's the stuff lifelong friendships are made of.

    I can't wait to hear and see more (from the past trips and the future)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it all.

    You've got some awesome red headed friends, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! what can I say - i got a thing for gingers.

      Delete
  6. South Africa for three weeks?! What a fun trip! And your pictures are beautiful! The mountains and the ocean and sunset - I love it all! I feel closest to the friends I've traveled around the world with...the experiences are so rich and the memories are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best people are South African (not that I am biased or anything)! :) Good travel buddies are very hard to find so hang on to her! These pictures have made me very very homesick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like this post :)

      Delete
  8. I'm jealous that you have a travel buddy and all the places you've been. I can tell this trips are full of lots of laughs and adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...