Friday, May 25, 2012

on our newest adventure.

and so. back to italy we go.
our friend from study abroad told us that she was getting married on the italian coast over a year ago, and while it seemed like a pipe dream, we decided we'd try and save up for the plane tickets.
and we did. and now we're going.
as excited as i am about the trip, i'm even more excited to see everyone from our program - most of them i haven't seen in eight years. and if the past few posts reminded me of anything, it's that the people and not the place make the trip.
lake como - 2004.  my favorite picture of us. ever. even with my hippie hair.
one of my favorite memories of traveling with katie occurred when we went to rome on our fall break during study abroad. we went to a tiny restaurant near our hostel, yammering away about how excited we were to be there. the couple next to use heard our fluent english and struck up a conversation - canadians, in italy on their honeymoon, we compared notes about our experiences abroad thus far. then our food came and we drifted back to our own conversations and eventually we asked for our check. but the waiter informed us as best he could in his italian that there was none - the canadian couple had picked up our bill. we were shocked, and profusely started to thank them. i always remember what they said:
"you guys are young and far from home - i'm sure your parents would like to know someone is looking out for you."
and isn't that just it sometimes - looking out for another, stranger and friend alike? taking the time to make sure someone feels like another person cares about them, no matter how small the gesture may be? it's a lesson that i've tried to keep with me.
as it is with random acts of kindness from strangers, you can't pay them back. you must pay it forward. so back we go to italy, where i hope someone young and far from home crosses our path and i can pass on the kindness that was once bestowed on me.
see you in a week kids. enjoy your start to summer!

14 comments:

  1. hope you have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! when I get back I wanna hear all about your honeymoon!

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Colleen. God I love your blog.

    I just got smiley and teary all at the same time. And shivers. There were some of those too.

    Have the best time!! I can't wait to hear all about it upon your return!

    Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This is great. Have a fabulous time! (p.s. I need to know your secret to saving up for plane tickets... I'm *trying* to do the same.) xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm sending you an email with my tips

      Delete
  4. Oh. My. Gosh. I am so excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear new stories and see new pictures of your trip. and a wedding on the Italian coast?! What a dream setting! And I love your story about the Canadian couple. You are so good at remembering details of things that have happened to you! And you are just the best story teller! have so much fun Colleen - bon voyage! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Sherri Lynn - I am pumped!!!

      Delete
  5. Aw, that is such a great story. It's amazing how even the smallest act of kindness really makes an impact and sticks with you.

    Have a great time in Italy!!! I'm sure you will, it's inevitable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - I am really excited (also inevitable!)

      Delete
  6. It is stories like these that reinforce why I refuse to lose faith in humanity. I'm convinced that good people are everywhere and that I should strive to be one of them. Have a wonderful and safe trip and thanks for sharing this story. It just makes me feel good inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - into to remember this story when I'm getting annoyed on the subway :) and thank you!

      Delete
  7. Such a great story. I'm super jealous you're going to Italy. I wish I had an excuse to go back! I know you'll have an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have SO much fun!

    I love love love stories like that. I had a cab driver in Berlin take me to the airport at 3 am only to discover that it didn't open until 5. He took me to a place where I could safely pass the time, and then kept working for two hours (even though his shift was over) so he could come pick me back up and make sure I got there safely. People can be so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...