Tuesday, May 15, 2012

on an over the top quiche.

so, this quiche has a lot of mushrooms in it. and i understand that some people absolutely hate mushrooms. i get it - they're not for everyone - but i don't mind them. and i'm sure some people out there love mushrooms and will love this recipe. however, for both of those types, this recipe has something to offer. wait until we make the custard, you mushroom haters. thomas keller knows what's up.
i decided i wanted to spend my sunday night cooking, and cooking something that could feed me for the better part of a week. if i have the time on sunday, i might as well really make it worth my while. so mushroom quiche for breakfast (and maybe dinner again), seemed like it would be a good choice. the ingredients are fairly simple, and as you can see i went with skim instead of whole milk because it's what i had on hand. and parm because, well, you know why.
 first, saute the mushrooms in a little bit of oil. i even cheated and bought sliced white mushrooms so i had less prep work.
before putting in the butter, thyme, and shallot, i drained my pan. i found the mushrooms gave off a lot of water. so i popped on a lid and strategically drained the excess liquid in the sink. i strongly recommend this. and now we get to the interesting part.
while the mushrooms are still cooking, the recipe calls for you to put half the custard mix (eggs/milk/cream/salt/pepper/pinch of nutmeg) in a blender. i don't have one (i like my margaritas on the rocks, what can i say?) so i decided to use my food processor. except after pouring in all the ingredients i noticed it leaking, extensively, due to a crack. clearly, this was awesome. (isn't cooking supposed to be relaxing?) so we went with option b - my mixer. my mixer has two types of beaters - normal beaters and beaters that are tiny little whisks. i used the latter. worked like a charm.
and now, a gratuitous crust shot.
crust is my favorite.
the first layer is some cheese and half the mushrooms, then the first batch of custard. problem is, this recipe called for way too much custard filling than my pie pan would hold. the second batch of custard i made, i probably used a quarter of it. next time i'll use the filling ingredients from this quiche i made at christmas, but whip it up (and whip it good!) like we did in this recipe (i'll explain why in a second). so layer in the last part of the mushrooms, cheese, and custard filling, then top with some more cheese.
this bakes in the oven for 90 minutes. a long time, but the low temperature for the oven makes the crust perfect, and if you pop it in the oven early enough you get a few things done before dinner. like watching an episode of parks and rec or something. and that whipping chef keller had us do? it makes the silkiest filling ever. i was truly impressed. i'm definitely using that technique on other quiches in the future, because it's just like a little bite of heaven. not too bad for a dish filled with mushrooms.

12 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people who doesn't like mushrooms but these pictures are making me want this quiche! I've never whipped the filling for quiche but I can imagine the results are quite silky. We haven't had quiche in a while but I love it for an easy weeknight dinner - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely try whipping it on your next quiche - its such a wonderful difference.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh yeah. You must have read my mind because I have been absolutely obsessed with quiche as of late. I usually go for quiche Lorraine but this looks mighty fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, that looks delicious. We went to one of Keller's restaurants while we were in Napa... Ad Hoc - which was amazzzzzing... we could only afford to peek in the windows at The French Laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh I am so jealous! I can't wait to hear all about it - I've never been to one of his restaurants (unless you count the croissants I sometimes get at his bouchon bakery that, naturally, are pretty damn good).

      Delete
  4. I am making a quiche tonight!! we are totally on the same wavelength... mine will be ham, spinach, and swiss (hubby and I aren't huge fans of mushrooms) but I will be trying the whipping technique! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome - what a timely post! whip it for about a minute like the recipe says - I was so afraid of it turning into like whipped cream with eggs, hah! a minute seemed to be just fine.

      Delete
  5. Quiche's are my fave. I always remember my mom making a broccoli and cheese quiche when we were younger. yUM, I should really try and get the recipe from her to make my own.

    And mushrooms? I don't like to eat them (texture is weird to me), but I love the flavor they give to dishes. Does that make sense? So if there's a dish with mushrooms that someone's made I'm happy to enjoy it, but at the end of the meal there's usually a stack of mushrooms on the side of my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say you can never have too many mushrooms. Luckily Mike's not a fan so there's more for me! I should make this for him if he ever really pisses me off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quiche looks amazing! I'm a crust girl too (and I love mushrooms)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks scrumptious! My friend was just reprimanding me for having never made quiche... I think I might try this out for my first one! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whip it up gooooood! You crack me up Colleen! I love quiche and I luuuurve mushrooms so this is my idea of heaven! I'll be trying it on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...