Tuesday, June 19, 2012

on a farmer's market dessert.

while i love baking with all the wonderful fruit that summer gives us, the days are a little bit hotter and a little bit lazier, begging for a simpler recipe. after picking up some basil and strawberries at the farmer's market this weekend, i decided to see if i could find a sweet and easy way to combine them. and did i ever. you only need a few ingredients, and to pour those few ingredients into a bowl. easiest recipe i have ever made.
first - the most important step - fresh and delicious basil and strawberries.
combine strawberries, basil, sugar, balsamic vinegar, honey and pepper in a bowl. it's easy to make larger or smaller batches of this recipe - i went with smaller, obviously. i think next time i might reduce the sugar a bit, but other than that the proportions worked for me.
let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes, then serve by itself or with fresh whipped cream, ice cream or (in my case), frozen yogurt (i recommend vanilla-flavored). this is an easy way to use the produce of the season, and i see myself whipping this up a few times this summer. enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! Mouth is watering over here! Strawberries always remind me of summer and the start of Wimbledon – we should be getting them in abundance soon so I will be adding this to the list (P.S finally found kale in my supermarket on Sunday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome - sautée it, roast it or eat it raw, you'll love it. and definitely make that one pan recipe - so delicious!

      Delete
  2. You should totally try reducing the balsamic vinegar! It cuts out a bit of the sourness from the vinegar, but it keeps its sweet flavor. You probably won't even need to add sugar after that. I like using this method because it turns into a warm syrup, which goes so well with the strawberries.

    This way sounds awesome too, just thought you might like to know a way to cut out the sugar without sacrificing taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that too! I just so did not feel like turning on my oven ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh with Ice cream. That just sounds like heaven. I love summer desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and easy, particularly with yogurt - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this look amazing, Colleen! Thanks for the idea-I need to make a good and easy dessert for my mom this weekend!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooo yummy!! Cooking with fresh foods is the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa this looks incredible! I'm so curious about that mixture of flavors. thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I told Mike about this after I saw your instagram pic the other day and we both agreed it sounded awesome. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple perfection. Yum! I love few things as much as I love high quality farmers market strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg, looks so yummy. LOVE. Also, I just wanted to say thank you so so much for the super sweet comment about my wedding. You totally made my day and I really appreciate it. Stay fabulous. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dessert just shouts summer! I will have to try it next time I get strawberries. I wish I could mail you a cutting from some of our basil so that you could have your own! Last night I just went out to the porch to gather my basil - so fun! And I think it would do well in just a windowsill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...