Thursday, June 7, 2012

on italy - the food.

we all knew this was coming right? i mean, come on. it's italy.
the three main things we could not get enough of? pesto, gelato and salami/prosciutto/etc.
i'm pretty sure we ate enough of the latter to make it it's own food group. and luckily for us, liguria, the region sestri levante is in, invented pesto. no shock, it was the best pesto of my life. from restaurants to what we would pick up at the grocery store every day, i will forever dream of this pesto. we ate gelato twice a day and i tried to drink espresso every day, too (i'm trying to keep up the trend back here in a sad little attempt to keep the dream alive). but we didn't eat out that much as we had kitchens and a patio, and most of our nights were spent cooking and talking and lingering over wine for a few hours. spending that kind of time with friends is absolutely, hands down, my favorite thing to do - and a rarity in nyc due to our tiny apartments and even tinier kitchens (much less doing it outside on a patio). i soaked up every minute of those nights.
but now, let's have the pictures speak for themselves.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am swooning! You went to the place that pesto was INVENTED?! I'm sure it was incredible. I also love sharing a meal with good friends over a glass of wine (or two, or three). It really is the BEST end to any day.

    I love all the different tables in the background of your photos. These are all so European - really makes me want to go back! So glad you got to soak it all in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I about died and went to heaven when I found out that fun fact. so very, very good.

      Delete
  2. Oh my... I am drooling over here. It all looks divine ~ especially the linguine and mussels (what do they call it in Italian?). YUM! xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're clams - spaghetti con vongole! so tasty.

      Delete
  3. Also, and just for the record, I am totally and completely jealous of your trip.

    Just had to add that part cause it's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude - I'm jealous of my trip. Colleen of last week was the luckiest person ever.

      Delete
  4. Drooling over here. Grown ass woman drooling.

    Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my. everything just looks delicious. i think i could survive on bread, pasta and gelato along. and maybe the occasional pop tart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my heavenly goodness. when we were in Italy, I think I stopped at every gelateria we passed by. I just had to try it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food is the exact reason I wanted to go to Italy on our honeymoon. Too bad I got really bad acid reflux as a result but it was SO WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I got quite the little food baby. worth it too! (and off to do sit-ups now).

      Delete
  8. Oh I was waiting for this post! Pesto at place of first ever pesto?! Gelato twice a day! Espresso in the afternoons! Colleen now I want to go to Italy just for the food! And I love that you cooked for yourselves - that's something I haven't done much when I've traveled but I think I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh all these Italy posts are so pretty. Wow. And let me say, I am a vegetarian at heart. Not all in practice. But if I lived in my own little world, vegetarian, easy decision. But oh man, I love all the salamis and prosciuttos and such. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gelato twice a day? You lucky lady! I think my favourite dish here is that spaghetti and clams! Drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...