Tuesday, June 12, 2012

on a one pan recipe.

i meant to share this recipe with y'all in the winter (i suppose it's more of a winter recipe), but after making it again last night i was reminded why it's such an awesome recipe all around.
1) it uses one pan
2) it involves kale, and when you cook kale at home, you look incredibly cool. trust me on this one.
3) it's tasty as hell.
the ingredients are below - obviously chicken is an ingredient too, but i didn't want to put the raw chicken next to everything else before i started to use the cutting board. safety first in this house!
first, slice up the potatoes and onion real thin, and de-stem and de-rib the kale and tear the leaves to be smaller, if you want. the latter takes the most amount of time. and by that i mean five minutes. it's so nice that there's just slicing in this recipe - no dicing, cubing, quartering. easy peasy.
sprinkle with olive oil and salt, then layer these ingredients into a large pan - i made half of what the recipe called for and still the kale seemed overwhelming. like any green, it reduces a lot when cooked, so don't be afraid to cram some more in there (or worry about it overflowing - show the kale who's boss!) i also like to layer the potatoes on top so they crisp up better when cooking in the oven.
lastly, season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. layer on top of the kale/potato/onion mixture, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. remove from the oven and remove the foil (carefully, lots of steam will come out!) and cook for about 30 minutes more. my oven is not reliable so i cooked for about 20 minutes. and with that, you're done. it's an easy dish to put in the oven when you get home from work, or to feed a crowd, or to make leftovers. the ingredients are simple, the prep is simple - it's just an all around easy, tasty, healthy recipe.
one of my favorites - enjoy. even if it is summertime.

10 comments:

  1. That does look relatively simple. I've never cooked with kale before though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really easy - like spinach, just bigger leaves.

      Delete
  2. This sounds good! I like a one-pan dinner. And I've also really been into paprika-flavored dishes lately. yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then you will definitely like this - its great.

      Delete
  3. My recipes don't have seasons. If I like it, I make it. I especially love when there's only one pot to clean. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're speaking my language! I love one-pan/pot dinners. Done and done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks great! I haven't cooked much with kale yet so I'll have to give this one a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been able to find kale in my supermarket yet but you had me sold with the one pot/pan idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kale is tasty! I never thought I would say that, but Zan makes it with olive oil and lemon juice and it's suuuuper good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...