Wednesday, July 11, 2012

on more of our day in red hook.

i said i would tell you more about red hook and here it is! if you're a new yorker it's a neat part of the city to check out, and if you're a tourist tired of the crowds and looking for something off the beaten path, this is for you, too.
now i know we talked about brooklyn crab already, but i again wanted to point out how awesome it is again - you can even see lady liberty from across the river! a great place to relax, especially on a summer day.
red hook is old school brooklyn, probably because it's so hard to get to. brian and i take the ikea ferry from lower manhattan to get there - which is actually quite pleasant on a nice summer day. once you're there you'll see it's still a neighborhood in transition - broken sidewalks, abandoned warehouses, and old school pubs. no hipsters or suits for miles. it's quiet during the day and you really feel like you're in a different city. the main street - van brunt - has a lot of the restaurants and shops you might find interesting.
after we've had a bite to eat, or played a round of cornhole, we usually wander up into carroll gardens and clinton hill to take a subway back, two other truly lovely brooklyn neighborhoods with old italian restaurants and leafy trees and brownstone after brownstone. this is also a fun way for us to explore more of red hook - we stumbled upon a peaceful park (empty in red hook while it would have been packed to the gills in manhattan), before seeing our favorite sandwich shop's first and only other location. it started way back in 1922, and was founded by an italian immigrant who found it hard to get steady work at the docks in red hook. since then it has served the best sandwiches in nyc ever (according to me at least). unfortunately the store was closed for vacation otherwise i would have to stopped in for a bite or two. (here's a great little article on the history of the place).
as wandered out of red hook we got one last glimpse of old brooklyn. their local fire station, which had been there since the 1800's, had a plaque that explained how the firehouse used to run in the old days - they were paid 10 cents an hour, worked two week shifts, and got three hours off every day to go see their family.
they may not be paid ten cents anymore, but i think they're still as dedicated.
check out red hook next time you're here (or if you live here!) it's a unique part of the city that can't be missed.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a great find! I lived in NYC for a year and never discovered this. Next time I am back in town I will definitely add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never known about this part of the city so I'll have to ask my other NYC friends and ask if they've explored this part. Your pics are really cool as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. History is so cool. Really, it just is.

    Looks like a really cool spot in Brooklyn, too. I've actually never heard of it, but maybe now someday I'll visit there! Love me some crab so it's quite possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Brooklyn crab and red hook are places made for nannerburns ;)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all the details on Red Hook! Brooklyn sounds so great and I can't wait to visit it one day (soon I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be awesome if you ever came to NYC! we'd have to show this town what Virginia girls are made of ;)

      Delete
  5. You always know all of the cool spots. You really made me want to visit badly (plus, now I am dying for some seafood).

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard Red Hook is a cool area. Your pictures confirm that! I love ending up in areas where there is so much history, and picturing the people going about their lives there a century ago. Your posts like this remind me I need to get out and soak up Chicago neighborhoods, too, and not get stuck in a rut of day to day living.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...