Tuesday, August 7, 2012

on pie.

making pies and cobblers are my favorite things to make in the kitchen. they're not always my favorite dessert, but if i had to choose a treat to bake - it would be one of those. yet in all the time i've been making pies, i've never made my own crust. i really wanted to try my hand at it after grad school, but unfortunately i moved to nyc and my countertop space is about 8"x11". one of these days i'm going to learn how to make a great crust - until then i swear by trader joe's frozen crust (for those of you with no interest in making your own crust, i highly recommend them.)
what i don't ever buy from a store, though, is the fruit filling. making a filling for a pie or cobbler is the easiest thing in the world. now some of you may disagree - slicing peaches, quartering strawberries, peeling apples. but even that little bit of work is worth the taste superiority of a fresh fruit filling vs. a canned filling. if you still insist you don't have the time, i present - the blackberry pie.
mix your blackberries (no need to slice or quarter or peel!) with lemon juice, sugar and flour, then put into your pie crust. dot the top of filling with a few cubes of butter before topping with a crust.
i folded the overhang of my top crust into the pie before crimping the edges. i know everyone says crust can be fickle, but when something contains that much butter i find it's pretty easy to manipulate and put back together if it falls apart or doesn't look correct.
kind of looks like an oyster.
after crimping the edges, slice four slits in the top of the pie and put into the oven for an hour and fifteen minutes.
when it's done, let the pie sit for a few hours before slicing yourself a piece.
then, enjoy the fruits of your labor (get it?!)

12 comments:

  1. Okay, so this just reminds me that I really need to get on my pie-making game already. I cheat, most of the time, with frozen pie dough. Though it's really easy, I just really hate making dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, no TJ's near me yet (there's one in construction though). I'm going to try making a crust this weekend. My sister's an expert and I'm leaning on her for some helpful hints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope it goes well! if not - TJ' is the way to go, for sure.

      Delete
  3. yum! i love a fruit pie. one of my favorites to eat and make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! Looks delicious! Too bad I never want to turn on my oven during the exact time of year when all the good fruit is in season. This recipe looks so good though. I might have to attempt it once NYC gets its first fall chill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's always apple and pumpkin and pecan and...

      Delete
  5. First time commenter here- I'm not really a pie eater but have an intense desire to bake one! Yours looks so very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for commenting! definitely try this one - i think it's an easy, fool-proof one for a first time pie-maker.

      Delete
  6. I'm a first time fruit pie maker and I can't wait to try this with the wild blackberries outside our house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade pie filling is SO MUCH BETTER than store bought! Pies are my fave thing to bake, too, and the bf's fave dessert to eat. We're a winning pair. I have a pretty easy pie crust recipe on the blog if you want to give it a try: http://bigmariolife.blogspot.com/2010/06/bowl-full-of-cherries-re-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to make a homemade pie-but I'm afraid mine will look a lot like my lasagna does-running and mushy! Yours looks pretty darn delicious!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I am drooling. My pies never come out this pretty.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...