Thursday, August 9, 2012

on a taste of the south.

it's only fitting that on the day i travel back to nashville i share this good old southern recipe with you. i love bbq but have struggled with how to make it at home, particularly in my wee, little apartment. i often turn to this classic for pulled pork, and now i have a new one to add to the repitoire:
they're a bit different than the traditional ribs you'd get from a smoker at a bbq restaurant, but that's only because they're so tender they practically fall off the bone. the taste is the same, and i was truly impressed with my little oven (that could). with a six hour cook time they're a perfect approach to a lazy dinner on a weekend. the only work you need to do is make a simple  rub for the ribs.
mix the correct proportions according to the recipe and then rub all over your ribs. i found a pound of ribs to be enough for two people.
wrap the racks in tightly sealed foil packets and place atop wire racks on a cookie sheet. i just used the same racks i use to cool my freshly baked cookies. i also lined the cookie sheet with foil, which i recommend as some juices came out of the packets (so much for tightly sealed).
cook at 200 F for four hours before lowering the oven temperature to 175 F and cooking for another two hours. when you take them out of the oven carefully lift the ribs out of the packet and drain the juice out of each packet into a small saucepan to make a sauce. then carefully, again since they're so tender, put the ribs back in their packets and seal once again. one packet had a lot of juices in it and one had a little (methinks the one that wasn't so tightly sealed). either way, just one was more than enough. you're supposed to boil the juices until reduced by half, add in some smoked paprika, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. i didn't reduce mine by enough, but it still tasted good! additionally, you can always use store-bought sauce or no sauce - we didn't need the sauce as the ribs were incredibly flavorful but it's a good option.
sauce or no, in the summertime we found that fresh corn on the cob was a must for this awesome taste of the south.

13 comments:

  1. My husband is a ribs man. If we ever go to a restaurant that sells ribs, he will order the biggest portion available! We often bbq the store-bought pre-made sauce ones and I find them lacking so this is another recipe to add to my weekend list! Thanks Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same - love ribs so much! try this out, I definitely think you'll make him happy :)

      Delete
  2. hmm it looks great :)
    would you like to follow each other?

    xx BBella
    justyled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, ribs! Love 'em. These look yummy and messy - the way they're meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ribs are one of Caleb's favorites so I think I need to try this recipe out! I've always been a little nervous making ribs because they seem like they would be hard - thanks for sharing an easy recipe! I love easy summer dinners - we've been living on grilled food and tomatoes from our (mini) garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like the perfect summer menu - I've been loving tomatoe season, too. I have one almost every night!

      Delete
  5. Mmm mmm mmm. I haven't tried making pork ribs before but have seen a ton of really good rubs and recipes lately. I'll have to try this while it's still summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesss I was hoping you'd post this! Enjoy your trip to Nashvile!!! Looking forward to some bangin instagrams of your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - you know it girl! definitely make this recipe when you're home from what looks like an awesome trip to florida, you'll love it, for sure.

      Delete
  7. Ok, I just caught up on all your recipes, and between the ribs, pie, and watermelon drink, I'm ready for dinner! This recipe sounds perfect for a lazy Sunday dinner. I've never tried making ribs at home, but I think I'm close to giving it a whirl!

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds.. amazing. Do you use beef ribs or pork?? I don't eat pork and have such a hard time finding and making beef ribs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately they were pork - but you can definitely try this rub and cooking technique on beef ribs. your best bet should be your butcher's counter in your local grocery store, and if they don't have any hopefully they have some good suggestions on where to look next.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...