Thursday, September 27, 2012

on a new york classic.

i meant to post this eight million years ago (last week). one of my top recommendations in nyc for those who live here and those who visit.
gramercy tavern is a classic new york city restaurant. people dress up, glasses clink, it's always crowded. (always). and, being a classic, it's quite expensive.
except for one little loophole.
at gramercy tavern, the bar has a list. when a seat frees up, instead of first come, first serve, the bar gives it to the next people on the list. (additionally, you can give your name to the host or hostess to sit in the front room, known as the tavern. the back room is for those with reservations. but i like the bar.) and at the bar (and in the tavern), they have a $48 four-course menu. and, if you'd like, you get a drink with every course - for $20. (4 drinks for $20 is unheard of. at least in this town.)
when katie and i travel, we always pick one meal to have at a nice place. well, this is my recommendation for a nice one in nyc.
so. go to the bar. give them your name. sip a cocktail while you wait. take your seat. and have some of the best food in new york city. without breaking the bank (too much, at least).

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a pretty awesome deal. We were staying pretty close to there, but ended up doing our splurge at Jean-Georges. We went for lunch, and had the most fantastic experience! We also ate dinner one night at Bar Mono, and it was really awesome as well. There was just way too much awesome food to eat in NYC! I've already decided I need to go back again SOON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also great advice - go to the nice places for lunch to get more bang for your buck. you did it right lady - we gotta see each other next time!

      Delete
  2. Another place I need to try! Thanks for the insider tip - when I visit I may just be able to fool people into thinking I'm a New Yorker. HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could! just don't say y'all ;)

      Delete
  3. Jordan and I only ate out twice when we visited last year as we were on a very tight budget. We also found waiting in line to be par for the course so we chose places that took reservations. I so wish we knew about the Gramercy Tavern - it sounds lovely (and much more civilised than waiting in the street)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never been! When I'm feeling a little loose in the wallet, I'll be sure to go. I wonder if they participate in Restaurant Week? That'd be a good time to visit, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...