Friday, September 28, 2012

on shoe stories.

i'm going to be starting a new series. based on comments. and my deep love for shoes.
when i was a little girl - and even now - i've always asked my grandmother about her jewelry. little things here and there. a ring. a bracelet. i didn't grow up near my grandparents, and as i got older and they aged with me, it became clear there was a lot i could miss out on. i knew, even then, that every woman has a story behind a piece of jewelry. so i always asked my grandmother about hers.
usually these stories others. that's how i heard about how she met my grandfather. it was right before he went off to war (or perhaps right after), and the armory on park avenue was having a horse show. she went in a dress with a full skirt and met him there in his navy uniform. my grandfather, italian as they come, was - as we say - a looker in that uniform. can you imagine - dressed in your crinoline, meeting your husband in his navy whites on park avenue? i died when she told me this story. just died.
and i'll never forget how she laughed to herself - bashful on one hand and yet, in her eyes, i could tell she was in another world. and she said "goodness - i had nearly forgotten that story." as i was fawning over this romance that seemed to be good to be true i realized - stories and memories fall away. memories fade as we get older and we make new ones, perhaps what we think may be more significant ones. so i felt lucky i got that one. that amazing, sigh-inducing, heart-swelling memory.
and that's how my shoe series will start. telling you a story about a pair of shoes i own. remember how my feet haven't grown since 7th grade? well, i've got some serious miles on some of these shoes and they have some stories to tell. they may not take us to the park avenue armory where a young italian boy from brooklyn is waiting for us in his navy whites, but they'll have to do. i'll try to write them every other friday or so. and yes, i'd love to hear your shoe stories, too. guest bloggers (i hope) will pop in when they can. who knows where these stories and these shoes might take us.
have a wonderful weekend readers. and wear an awesome pair of shoes.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't even contain my excitement!! This is such a great idea Colleen, and so YOU! You tell stories really well, and I'm really excited to hear your shoe stories! & look at all of your fabulous shoes of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!!!! And want to see a picture of your young grandparents!!!! So sweet. And I think you will appreciate that I am the kind of girl who plans to wear leopard studded flats to a NFL game this Sunday. Yeah Team Shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of your grandparents meeting is adorable. I love it! There are so many fun memories tied to shoes- and for me, items of clothing. Can't wait to hear the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous story from your grandmother--and a fun way that you've been inspired on your blog. Those shoes are great!

    Love,
    Sarah
    the Reverie blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool. What a good idea, Colleen. You love your shoes, and your story-telling skills are off the hook!

    EXCITED!

    Happy weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,I am not sure will you be interested but there is a giveaway on my blog,you can win 50$ coupon to spend on sheinside.It's international giveaway. If you want,come and join,it's here http://liliemarlen.blogspot.com/2012/09/poslije-nedjelja-k.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just made my day Colleen! I have been so curious about your bad-ass collection of shoes! And who better to tell their stories?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! So excited for this! You have killer shoes and are the best storyteller, so I'm really looking forward to these Friday posts :) Hope you had a great weekend, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fantastic idea! I'm not even a shoe person but I love it. Can't wait for the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. I can't wait to read more.

    P.S. I loved your grandmother's story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...