Tuesday, October 2, 2012

on an autumn farmer's market dinner.

this is the first recipe i've tried from dinner, a love story and i have to say - it's pretty damn good. this dish can take you all the way through the winter, but the apples in it really make it perfect for fall. add to the fact that i got every ingredient at my farmer's market (except the thyme) and it means i can eat something delicious AND feel like a hippie. a hippie who showers. win win my friends.
my second favorite part to this recipe? the fact that it calls for everything to be chopped roughly. no fancy slicing and dicing here. it cuts down on a lot of prep work that can make the time between getting home from work and getting to eat dinner seem so long. i chopped up my onion and two potatoes (yes, two was enough for me although the recipe calls for four) and threw them together with some thyme, salt, pepper and olive oil. for my potatoes i simply sliced each one four or five times, then quartered the slice.
roast these for 20 minutes at 425°F, and in the meantime chop up your apples. i used two apples of the cortland variety - they were perfect baking apples. a good standby is granny smith apples, though - you can never go wrong with a classic granny smith apple when you're baking apples.
pull the pan out of the oven, toss in the apples, then lay your four sausages on top. slightly lower the oven to 400°F, then bake for 25 minutes.
after 25 minutes pull out the pan and toss in two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. for that part i took the sausages out of the pan, added in the vinegar, tossed, then laid the sausages back on top. put the pan back in the oven for an additional five minutes.
then, enjoy! brian and i both loved this - particularly the apples which cook down and act as a sort of applesauce for the dish. it also made great leftovers for the next day.
a perfect dish to welcome in the fall season - enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. No fancy chopping and a one pot wonder… yes please! Perfect for a chilly autumn evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! Love that it's super easy too. My favorite thing to do is just shove things in the oven and pop it out when it's ready to eat. Very little effort required!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Love the idea of spicy sausage and sweet apples. Looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I aspire to be a hippy that showers. Best of both worlds. And I love how cozy and hearty this looks...great inspiration for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed it is! I think you're a vegetarian and this is clearly easy to make vegetarian as there are tons of veggie sausages out there (as I'm sure you know).

      Delete
  5. This sounds great- so simple and flavorful! I'm excited I start cooking fall dishes like this. I tend to go crazy cooling squash non-stop once October hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found a recipe for maple glazed squash I'm dying to try next time I go to my farmers market. I'll definitely post here if it's good!

      Delete
  6. oh this sounds delicious! i love recipes that are distinctly "summer" or "fall" recipes. this one, with the apples and the roasting and the sausages just feels like fall. i want to try it! you always pick out good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, perfect fall dish! I love cooking with thyme and I can only imagine how amazing this is once all cooked!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...