Thursday, October 25, 2012

on thanksgiving training.

one pan recipes are a favorite find of mine. they're easy to make during the week, and they usually consist of veggies and lean meats. on this front, food and wine always seems to pull through, offering another great one pan roasted chicken recipe (here's another favorite of mine). it also involves roasting apples, which as i found out when i made this, is awesome. this is a great, easy recipe for the week, and the flavors and aroma have thanksgiving written all over it - let the training commence!
to start, dice and peel three fiji apples and the butternut squash, and mince a tablespoon of sage. i bought a butternut squash at my farmer's market and peeled and diced it using this helpful guide. i didn't have a vegetable peeler and ended up just using my knife, which lead to many adventures and cursing in the kitchen. if you have a vegetable peeler this should be pretty easy if you follow the guide. if you don't, there's no shame in buying the pre-cut butternut squash at the store (and i plan to do so next time).
toss your apple, squash and sage with a 1/4 cup of olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place them on top of your apple/squash/sage mixture. throw into an oven set at 400 degrees, and roast for one hour and 15 minutes.
and that's what you get in return! the recipe calls for setting the pan on two burners after removing from the oven, placing the chicken to the side, and boiling/simmering the veggies for five minutes. i did this, but i don't think it really makes a difference in the end product. and you've already waited an hour and 15 minutes for this, so tacking on another five just seems silly.
it was a wonderful weekday meal and i will definitely be making it again. i'm coming for ya thanksgiving - get ready!

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic recipe! And easy peasy. Also, thank you for the how-to link, because I currently have a butternut squash at home just staring at me every time I walk by it. Meep. Gonna tackle that sucker tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I was clueless until I read that!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! This is JUST in time since I'm going apple picking this weekend. I'll have to make this next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH GOSH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. Everything in this recipe is speaking to me.

    Also, Thanksgiving. Sigh. What a positively perfect holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I love one-pan dinners. They're easy to throw together and then there's only one dish for Caleb to wash haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...these look amazing..... omg I'm so hungry now

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous. I am a fan of anything sweet or savory with apples in it.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha i was doing similar things today. my project was honey-thyme cookies and some pretty awesome apps. hurry up and get here, t-givs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh apples and chicken... now this is something I can get on board with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I know what I'm making for dinner in this hurricane!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm that looks super good. And yes, it's never too early to start practicing for Thanksgiving. Particularly baking rolls. I always have a tough part getting that right

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...