Thursday, October 18, 2012

on when your head says no but your heart says yes.

do you have some tired and true fashions that call your name? the ones you wish would stop? your known weaknesses? because i do. oh boy do i ever. anytime i go shopping you'll usually find one of these in my dressing room. i try it on, and i do my best to leave it behind.
it doesn't always work.
i'm also aware that i may be the only person who thinks this way about this kind of clothing. so if you own some, don't feel ashamed. feel proud. you've done what i couldn't - and that's be a normal person.
so shall we go into my head and listen to the conversations i have with myself as i shop?!
let's do it!
first - lace. ahh, lace. i love lace. dresses, skirts, shirts. i fall for every lace piece i see. and then comes the old nagging voice,
"but colleen, won't you look like a tablecloth in that? a big old tablecloth covering a table."
yes, friends, i love tablecloth clothes. or, what i fondly refer to as - my tabletop tops. anytime i try on a lace top, all i can see is a tablecloth. so i put it back. but it doesn't mean i don't love it.
Tempting Lace
1/2/3

next up - my strange obsession with clothing covered in baby animals/small woodland creatures. this category was best coined by britney spears: not a girl, not yet a woman. i am always drawn to them before kindly reminding myself that i'm not a five-year old girl. i'm a WOman. a grown. ass. woman. i bring home a paycheck. i bake cookies. i drop f-bombs. all three are characteristics of a WOman. (seriously, look it up). and yet...i want to wear a sweater with a bunny on it. just like a five-year old girl. i know, because i used to be a five-year old girl. and as i head to the dressing room, a sweater with a bunny frolicking about his jolly way on the front, i ask myself the tough questions:
"colleen, are you a girl or a WOman?"
and i reluctantly answer that i'm a WOman.
and i put the sweater back. i cry. the bunny cries. it's a mess.
Kids Clothes
1/2/3

and then, my weakest category. try as hard as i can, i usually have little resistance for items in this category. it's hard to have any left after passing up the opportunity to look like a five-year old wearing a tablecloth. yes, my weakest category:
wanna-be figure skater.
oh sequins.
everytime i vaccumm my apartment i find a sequin somewhere due to the fact that i wear them so much. august, december. it doesn't matter. sequins are lurking. show me a tight dress covered in sequins and my eyes go wide and reason leaves my body. just wait until i post pictures from the upcoming holiday season. you'll see. you'll know it when you see it. you'll see just how bad it can get. i think if i could dip my face in sequins and hit the party circuit i would. would i get invited to many new york city parties in that state? probably not. but i'd be happy as a clam.
yes, sequins are my greatest weakness. as i head to the dressing room with a sequin dress in my hands i clamor to remind myself that i will look like a crazed oksana baiul. and then i remember that oksana was a winner, and gosh darnit i will be too. if i just get this one last dress covered in sequins.
Ice Skating Wear
1/2/3
what are your greatest weaknesses?

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I feel you on your second point! I find myself constantly gravitating towards clothes with puppies (or owls) and '90s pop-culture icons on them. I always have to second-guess myself and say, okay this is the stuff I was wearing when I was 14. In the end, I usually end up buying it anyway - my heart wins most of the time.

    On another note, I love all your tablecloth picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. le sigh. me too. me too. if only I'd allow myself to buy them...

      Delete
  2. This post is awesome. Everything in it, just hilarious. I can relate to the lace weakness, but I also don't ever buy it. Once when I was wearing a lace cami under a sweater (with the lace poking out the bottom and top) my grandma told me it looked like lingerie. So I haven't been able to wear it since... but I'm thinking that it's so popular right now, no one's going to tell me it's lingerie. I just need to bite the bullet and get some pretty lace, dang it!

    You did buy a tablecloth dress recently - that cute rose-colored one! I loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you're so right!!!! and now it comes back to me, struggling to let myself buy it (and I'm glad I did because I love it!) here's to looking like tablecloths together (and indulging every now and then) treat yo self right;)

      Delete
  3. GAH LACE AND GLITTER AND SEQUINS! I obviously have a deep, deep obsession with those. And I secretly love animal sweaters. Like I just want a panda one immediately. Sigh. My greatest weakness? Black. Black on black on black. All black everything. Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, all black everything is a staple of mine, too.

      Delete
  4. I love this post! I think lace clothes are so beautiful and feminine! I never think of tablecloths, so you should definitely indulge and buy a piece or two! The woodland creatures made me laugh! But those are actually in right now, right?! Owls and other creatures are popping up all over the place. I have to agree that they remind me of 5 year-old's clothing though.

    I don't think there's any specific type of clothing I find myself grabbing even though I know better. More like clothes that look awesome on other people but not exactly flattering for my figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah - I do the same thing. particularly with pants that only like 6 foot rail thin models can wear. oh well. better to look your best than trendy!

      Delete
    2. I very much agree with this!

      Delete
  5. ha! you crack me up. i always go for the cute, yet cozy look which can often look very frumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Wanna-be figure skater."

    LOL.

    I love all these fashion pieces. Particularly lace and glitter. Oh, glitter. How fun are you?

    P.S. I was a legit figure skater one in my young age. I did jumps and spins and totally wore sequins. SIGH. The memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you were a figure skater?! a little tiny nannerburns was a figure skater?! i am dying - i have so many questions for the next time i see you!

      Delete
  7. Ha, I'm totally with you on the sweaters covered with baby animals. My guilty fashion trend is clothing with holes. I'm not transient nor do I have a moth infestation. Still... I like that ragged look

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious. Lace and sequins are classic, right? Baby animals might not be SO timeless. But cute nonetheless!

    I am hopelessly drawn to stripes (but who isn't) and crazy, bohemian patterned dresses. I respect your shopping self-control because I am useless to resist the allure of those dresses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...