Thursday, November 29, 2012

on gifts for those who keep you guessing.

yes, it's another gift guide! can you believe it?! while i know the git-giving season can stress people out, i love it. and if my boss told me for the next month to just put together gift guides i'd be happy as a clam. so here's a little one i put together that can work for a broad range of people because yes, even i can admit that shopping for your great-aunt linda isn't the easiest thing in the world.
Random Gift Set
1. Cashmere socks ($9.99) - socks! wow, what an original idea! i'm really testing the limits of my creativity here! but let's be real people - these are cashmere socks. and last christmas an aunt did give me some and i thought "oh, well, that's nice i guess everyone can use socks." and then i put them on and pretty much never took them off all winter. looks like my aunt knew a thing or two about gift-giving. if you're really stumped go with cashmere socks - while the receiver might think of it as generic, once they put them on they will thank you forever. it's now a go-to gift of mine, no matter how boring that may seem.
2. Dinner: A Love Story ($20) - perhaps you're friends with a couple who love to cook together? or maybe friends just had their first (or second or third) little one and could use some guidance on how, exactly, to feed their growing family? this is the book. this cookbook cum memoir is one that they'd love to have help them along their way.
3. Bottle of wine (varies) - yup, another generic gift. but really - who doesn't love wine! to make it a little more thoughtful though, look up some nice restaurants in your area that allow you to bring your own wine to dinner and charge a low corkage fee. while in some cities byob restaurants are everywhere and this wouldn't quite work, most places charge a corkage fee. fees in nyc are usually around $10 - $20 (and higher, of course), and it's a whole lot easier to pay that when you didn't end up paying for the wine in the first place. i would note a few that you think the receiver would like and write them on a tag you can tie on the bottle's neck - cards will get lost, that tag will still be there when they reach for the bottle and head out to dinner.
4. Fendi clutch ($820) - i mean it's fucking fendi, did you guys really think this wouldn't be on the list ;) while $800 isn't in most people's price range, this bag has everything - black and brown mixed in shades that complement one another and can therefore be used for many outfits, along with the body of the bag tinted the season's favorite color - oxblood. i would use this as inspiration when searching for a more affordable version - it's a clutch any women of any age can happily use for years to come.
5. Martha Stewart's Homkeeping Handbook ($30) - i admit, this gift is kind of boring, but if given to the right person it can be extremely useful. have a friend just buy or move to a new house or apartment? this 700+ page tome is for them. there are many things that come along with a new house or living space that people won't be *quite* sure how to clean or maintain - this is their answer. and who doesn't like living in a nice, clean house? when my good friend moves into her new house in february, this will absolutely be waiting on her doorstep.
6. Touchscreen compatible leather gloves ($79.50) - my dad is a professional guy. wool overcoats, ties, sweaters - that's how he's dressed most days. and he just got an iphone so i know he'll deal with that old conundrum of taking off and putting one's gloves back on in order to use his touchscreen phone this winter. and while there are many touchscreen compatible gloves out there, most of them are knit gloves or made by some snowboarding company - not really his style. so for the professional guy in your life with their first touchscreen phone, here's your answer - leather gloves that do the same thing. warm and work appropriate. my dad will definitely be getting a pair of these for christmas.
7. Guidebook (varies) - know a friend or couple planning a big trip for 2013? unless it's laying on an exotic beach somewhere, guidebooks can be a great gift (and not something they may go out and buy). most people google a lot before the big trip and cross their fingers on the plane - this will be something filled with suggestions (and, more importantly, maps) for when they're on the ground and don't have a computer to help them out. my favorite guidebook brand is fodor's out of all the options out there.
8. Mistobox subscription ($15 - $150) - of course, we need a gift that keeps on giving. i think giving subscription services is a great idea (i gave three people birchbox last year and they loved it), and there are products out there that can pertain to everyone on your list. this is for the coffee-lovers - they get a few packets of coffee from independent roasters every month, helping support small business and introducing all sorts of coffee they may never have had a chance to try before. best of all, they sell it in 1, 3, 6 and 12 month subscriptions - something for every price range.
happy hunting! and if you have an idea mention it below!

12 comments:

  1. Freaking awesome gift guide Colleen! I once received a pair of really nice socks which I inwardly rolled my eyes at but then fell in love with, because the reality is that I would never spend more than a fiver on a pair of socks. I thought this post might also quite possibly be life-changing as I had no idea that you could get touch screen gloves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes - touchscreen gloves are a must in the winter!

      Delete
  2. Wait. I need that Martha Stewart book. Seriously. And good call on the cashmere socks. Nothing makes me feel more luxurious than nice things on my feetsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes if I lived in a space larger than a postage stamp I would get this too. I think it would be verrrrry helpful.

      Delete
  3. I love when creative shoppers like you put together these guides. Joe is getting an electric guitar for chrismas (which he already bough for himself), but I am still planning to get him a couple smaller gifts. I know he'd LOVE cashmere socks, so thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yay! and in a Chicago winter he will doubly appreciate them!

      Delete
  4. There are so many gift guides out there right now, but in all honesty, I pour over each and every one of them in hopes someone will suggest the most PERFECT gift that I hadn't thought of yet. Those leather gloves are just what my boyfriend has been asking for. When he thanks me profusely for the best. gift. ever. I will be sure to give you all the credit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love reading every gift guide I can. I hope he likes them - I'm excited to give them to my dad too.

      Delete
  5. great list.

    thanks for sharing!

    XO stop by for a visit,


    Lydia from Vintage2Vogue

    http://vintagetwovogue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great ideas! I love so many of them-- the cashmere socks, the Dinner book, and the coffee lovers gift subscription box. That one is so cool. I gifted Birchbox to my sister last year, too. That was a good one!

    But I think my favorite is the wine. Who doesn't love it!

    Speaking of... I'm off to the kitchen to pour myself a glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how good was birchbox as a gift?! it has me addicted to giving people subscriptions because they open it...and then it lasts for months! and i'm very glad you commented on this and then drank a glass of wine...that's why you're one of my favorite readers :)

      Delete
  7. This is a great gift guide! I actually asked for socks for Christmas, so we're on the same wavelength there :) I also have that Martha Stewart book, and while I have not read much of it, I like knowing it's sitting on my shelf for easy access when the next homemaking disaster strikes. And, you are clearly the best gift-giver for giving people subscriptions! I have always thought that would be such a fun present to receive!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...