Friday, November 9, 2012

on a shoe story: volume III.

one of my oddest childhood memories as is of going to my mother's family reunion one year. it was the only official family reunion i can ever remember going to, and it was held on long island. it was for my pop-pop's side of the family, who was italian. there were perms as far as the eye could see, red fingernails on every hand, and leopard print. oh my word, the leopard print. and while i felt like my family was a bit out of place, we fit right in when it came to that last category. my mother loves leopard print. if all nice italian girls from long island are programmed to make great pasta, well let me tell you, they're also programmed to love leopard print. shoes, bags, clothes, pillows - you name it my mother has bought it or pined for it. and, naturally, i found this to be extremely embarrassing since i grew up in virginia and no one else's mother had a fainting spell over a faux leopard jacket. so my whole life - no leopard print for me. if i ever found myself reaching for it i would smack my hand down and promptly walk away. i would break the cycle!
until.
until i started working. at work i wear button up shirts and loose fitting clothing and i don't dare make fun of hillary's pants suits because i sometimes i have to wear one, too. i often comment that i go to work dressed as a man. people laugh. i die on the inside.
but as time went on and i gained some credibility i "let myself go" you could say. a green skirt every now and then. a few bangles on my wrist instead of a lone one. a v-neck sweater. it was heady days as i loosened my drsesscode. and before the fourth of july, the office dead, no one in town, i stopped into the 30 rock j. crew at lunchtime, a favorite pastime of mine. i monitor sales there pretty well, if i do say so myself, and they had just added the "extra 40% off" to their sale. i wandered a bit until i laid my eyes on these. they were perfect. made in italy, real leather, wedges that make walking at work infinitely easier, fit like a glove.
and they were leopard print.
i knew that these beautiful shoes, at an insanely low price that just happened to be in my size, were a fluke. that they had been lost in a warehouse somewhere and they just shipped them to the 30 rock j. crew because they get tons of tourists and go through merchandise like whoa. and so i grabbed them, palms sweating, heart beating, and put them on hold.
i went back to my desk thinking "is this really happening? am i buying something covered in leopard print?" i knew how good they would look with black skirts and green skirts and everything in between. i thought they would add some personality to an outfit without making it wholly unprofessional. and that afternoon i went back and i bought them and i haven't looked back. if you're on the fence about leopard print shoes i can tell with you 100% certainty - buy them. you will love them. you will wear them with everything. you will even wear them to work.
i guess those nice italian girls from long island really know what they're doing after all.

14 comments:

  1. Loved this :) it's so hilarious how we turn into our mothers... These shoes are amazing and I know you rock them! Not sure I could pull them off but I know you do. p.s. I love the way you write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! and yes - our mothers we become, slowly but surely!

      Delete
  2. These shoes are awesome, I love seeing them pop up here and there in your pictures. I will now appreciate them even more knowing the back story. It's great to embrace something like this in your own way. I can't imagine we will see you sporting a faux leopard jacket anytime soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - no definitely not! and if i do please stop me :)

      Delete
  3. Loving the shoe stories :) I happen to monitor the sales of the stores around my work so I know what you are talking about! I own a pair of leopard print ballet pumps and I thought they were pretty hardcore but leopard print wedges just take it to a new level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any leopard print show is good in my book (at least now it is!)

      Delete
  4. yesss I love these shoes! I love how we resist the urges to do things that will make us become like our mothers, but then eventually give in anyway. It's like a force of nature that can't be reckoned! I love leopard print shoes and can imagine that you totally rock these - even in the office :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know - just like laura said! it's an impossible evolution to fight off.

      Delete
  5. I think an occasional leopard print accessory works - I've seen girls wearing leopard print skinny belts with their work outfits and it really provides a certain ooomph! Now I know that you're one of those ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i am totally a fan of the stray leopard print accessory.

      Delete
  6. YES. Those shoes are awesome. Can't go wrong with a good leopard print.

    (Also think it's funny that I was wearing leopard print shoes in my post on the day you posted this. SOUL SISTAS, I tell ya.)

    Love this story. And love that J.crew. I know it well. HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i loved that too! those shoes look so good on you - especially with that green coat (or puffer).

      Delete
  7. go for it! love the leopard print and even better on a pair of shoes. great post, so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, and yes! I love my leopard print flats. Love them with my whole heart...even to the point of putting my husband's shoe polish on the tips when the white underneath started to show through.

    The are the only leopard print item I own, because well, I am not Italian or from Long Island.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...