Tuesday, November 20, 2012

on a wintertime drink.

unless you're a wine drinker, you'd be hard pressed to find an adult beverage in my apartment. if it's not wine, it's an old bottle of bourbon i have on hand for some cooking and baking (check out this awesome bourbon-spiked banana bread recipe from sherri lynn). after a couple of years i eventually work my way through it and i go out and buy a new bottle. it keeps for a very uncrowded liquor cabinet, which conveniently doubles as a boiler room in my apartment.
and while i enjoy a good drink when i go out, i rarely make them at home. i have no desire to buy bitters and elderflower liquor and all the other snazzy things one needs to make various drinks. but like my love for gin gimlets, i believe that low-key, unfussy drinks are for me. so one night, a few weeks ago, when i was served a drink i loved, and it was basically bourbon and apple cider. i thought - i can do this, i can make this.
and so i did.
i looked up a few basic recipes and they called for ginger ale - the kind of ginger ale where ginger is listed in the ingredients. and that search led me to morris kitchen ginger syrup. it was a bit pricey ($15!) but since it's used sparingly, (and their website is filled with other recipes that use the syrup), i decided to go for it.
2 parts apple cider
1 1/2 parts bourbon
1/2 part ginger syrup
shake with ice and strain into a glass.
i would prefer it served over ice in the future, as i take my time with my drinks and i like to keep them cold. this is an easy recipe to play around with - perhaps use that gingerale instead of syrup or add in a touch of molasses and a touch of ginger syrup instead of just all ginger syrup. either way, i think it will be delicious. it's a perfect cocktail to kick off thanksgiving dinner and keep you warm all throughout the winter. and it uses up some of that bourbon when you're not too busy baking with it. gotta clear out that liquor cabinet somehow, right?

6 comments:

  1. Love this!! We have been making a similar recipe lately, but not with the "Real" ginger ale. I'm sure that makes it amazing.

    P.S. cute shirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I went to a pie exchange and I had to bring cider - I should have grabbed the bourbon from the pantry first!

    p.s. I hope you're having a wonderful time with your family in VA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sad little two bottle "bar" setup in my apartment that is gathering dust. I'm not much of a bartender either. I think I can handle this cider recipe though...sounds like it will help lubricate any tense family time at the holidays too :) Have a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. If it were up to me, I'd have an equally limited bar setup but the boyfriend loves his scotch way too much. We may not have any bourbon on hand but we do have 10 different types of scotch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same, I never make drinks at home (well except for one summer where we made a few litres of Sangria, needless to say it got messy and put me off Sangria for life). But I do still have a few bottles under my kitchen sink, I'm partial to a bit of bourbon so this sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds great, I have a soft spot with cocktails but I'm never able to prepare them, I if I trie, but I'm not an easy give up girl , so I will try again with this one.
    Xx
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...