Tuesday, December 18, 2012

on my boyfriend's jeans.

when i first saw the boyfriend jeans trend i was like - nope, not for me! while my style tends to be all over the place, it's always more feminine than not. big, baggy, ripped jeans were not me.
and then i saw them paired with heels. and i totally changed my tune.
(do you guys have any idea how good boyfriend jeans are at showing off a pair of killer heels? like, super duper good).
and the nice thing about wanting something generic like boyfriend jeans, or a pair of red heels, is that many places sell them at many different price points. and when i had finally found a pair that matched the style and price i wanted, i picked up a fashion magazine that showcased an even better pair from...american eagle. god knows how long it's been since i've shopped at american eagle.
however.
i love american eagle.
why? because i used to work there.
yes, american eagle was one of my first jobs and i loved it dearly and i was devastated when my parents made me quit so i could focus on college applications my senior year of high school. the worst. but before i left american eagle i was promoted to a "jeans expert", which means i memorized every cut and color and design of a jean and could tell you everything you needed to know if you just held up a pair to me.
i like to call myself the jean whisperer.
i guess i'm telling you all this to preface the fact that yes, i got the american eagle pair, and yes i love them to death, and yes i may be a bit biased due to my old ties to american eagle.
all the pairs below range in price, but the american eagle ones are the cheapest right now - on sale plus the company is offering an extra 40% off + free shipping for the holidays (seriously it's like i still work for them. the shameless promotion is too much on my part). so if you're on the fence about boyfriend jeans, you could pick up the most perfect pair for around $20 at american eagle and take that plunge. like i did.
additionally, i think a slouchy pair of jeans goes best with a more structured shoe - the pointy silver heels and flats, a pair of wedges or the out of this world red jimmy choos that look like an architect designed them (i could stare at those shoes all day. but i digress). and yes, that's right, i said flats. i even put in a pair of flats for all you flat-lovers (which is literally all of you). enjoy!
2. {jeans/flats}
3. {jeans/heels}
4. {jeans/heels}
and finally, here's how i wore it!

16 comments:

  1. looking fabulous, as always! I love my boyfriend jeans...I tend to forget about them, but when they come out, they stick around for a while. My favorite part is the comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might need to pick up those AF ones. Even though I have no idea what my size in AF is at all. Nor have I ever owned anything from AF. AM I REALLY DOING THIS?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - do it! I also had to use AE's size chart sixe their sizes are smaller (since thy cater to teens. woot!) I ordered a size up and they fit perfectly.

      Delete
  3. This is too good.

    1) I used to love American Eagle, too. I can't say I worked there, but I certainly did love it. I can still see the exact spot it sits in my hometown mall (right across from Auntie Annie's pretzels. YOWZERS. YUMMERS. BUT ANYWAYS...)

    Sometimes I still get accessories there. They got the goods!

    2) I have a pair of boyfriend jeans, too (from LOFT) and I waiver between loving them and not loving them. I think they definitely need to be paired with a smaller top to look right, and help you to not look too frumpy.

    3) I wear my boyfriend jeans with flats. gah. But I think about wearing them with heals sometimes. Maybe soon, Colleen. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, frumpiness can be the bad part of boyfriend jeans. thats why I think if the jeans are a little tighter than traditional boyfriend jeans, or paired with very structured or more fitted accessories/tops it can work well. I would love to see a picture of those heels...maybe soon :)

      Delete
  4. P.S. your outfit rocks. Simple, classy, YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you wear those so well! I feel like I have never been able to pull off the boyfriend jean look, but pairing them with heels might be the trick. You sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think heels make all the difference. I really don't think I'd look good (or like them) if I wore flats since I'm on the shorter side. so try it with heels!

      Delete
  6. I really really like this look and am glad you found the jeans at a steal. I love boyfriend style jeans - yay for loose clothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look super cute on you! I'm still not convinced I could pull it off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. doooo itttttt!! haha - it took me a few years to convince myself I could pull it off so I understand. but I love it so I say dooooo ittttt!

      Delete
  8. I actually started doing the boyfriend jeans trend by actually wearing my boyfriend's jeans when I got sooooo sunburnt in Corfu that my own tight clothes made me run for the hills. Admittedly I paired them with flip flops and one of his tank vests and totally looked like a hobo (I fell in love with them) but forgot all about them! I've got just the right pair of killer heels in mind for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lookin good! I've wanted a boyfriend jeans for the longest, but can never seem to find a pair that look just right. I'll have to take your advice and head to AE. Have yet to see what their jeans are all about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was turned off by the boyfriend jean trend when I first saw it because all the cuts were so baggy and I was sure I would look sloppy. I like that you've found some more streamlined versions. Maybe I will give it another thought.

    Thanks for including flats for us heel-phobes. Although I love your wedges. Maybe I can handle walking in a pair of those...just maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a pair of Levi's boyfriend jeans. They are slouchy and comfy. But they give me that dreaded "saggy ass" effect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...