Monday, December 10, 2012

on my weekend in pictures.

you know, you can't do everything together. you can try, sure. but that jig only lasts so long. you don't have to have the same exact interests with your significant other. and for us, brian loves to go to concerts of random bands named the who's it's and the what's it's, while i really, really love chinese food, thai food, korean food, japanese food. any place east of the east coast, which brian has no interest in. and while we try to humor one another now and then, support each other's interests, bob our head along to music we don't know and slurp down some noodles whose name we don't know how to pronounce, we also have these things called friends. that's right, friends! friends who share our interests and who don't have to be left to the wayside simply because you found a person who will do all those things with you AND make out with you (depends on how much garlic is in those noodles). and so saturday night brian went out with a friends to a concert to hear some random band, and i went with tina to check out a chinese restaurant around the corner (also, tina speaks chinese, so it's nice to show her off. hearing her speak chinese with others is always, like, the best).
it can be easy when you're in relationship to start to do every single little thing together. and it's always good to support one another's interests. but you know, sometimes, you can go your own way for a night, reconnect with friends, and eat some damn good chinese food while you're at. there's always a meatball dinner on sunday night waiting to bring you back together.


13 comments:

  1. beautiful pics! my name on instagram is @valerygoncharenko :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. And I think it's important and healthy to just spend a day apart to do your own things. When I go out with friends, I like to go to Japanese and Greek restaurants, especially since Bob isn't a fan. He'll do his thing, like hang out with his friends and do weird boy stuff, like punch each other and call eachother a-holes. It's nice to miss one another - and have something fresh to talk about once you do come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - that last part made me laugh so hard!! I love that we both take time away to eat cuisines we love that aren't their fave - guys just need to be more adventurous eaters! I second everything you said about taking time away and being refreshed when you see one another again.

      Delete
  3. This is so true! I've noticed that Michael and I start getting irritable with each other when we don't make time to go do our own thing. It's totally healthy and normal to need that time away. It's fun becoming a unit together, but that doesn't mean we're the same person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's another good point - pursuing your interests (or just some time to yourself) is also good in terms of being around one another and having it be good time spent together rather than just spending every minute together and having it be just so-so.

      Delete
  4. Zan and I like to eat the same foods (which is nice), but we have very different hobbies. Zan likes to fish and go camping in the country, and my favorite is spending time in the city. We make it work for us. We're both pretty independent people, so I don't mind so much when he has to work late, or when I plan a Saturday with friends. I think we both need our "ME" time, and we seem to get the right amount of it to keep us happy. :)

    (Those cuisine's you mentioned are our FAVORITE. I love Indian food, too. DO YOU?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah - Indian food is the only cuisine brian and i both really don't like. but i do like naan!

      Delete
  5. Amen, sister. I can only pretend to be interested in so much football and ski talk :) I admit Kurt and I fall into the "let's do everything together" camp lots of the time but I understand it's healthy to have your own interests. Luckily I have lovely friends who enjoy dance parties and the beach (which Kurt is not so fond of).

    A friend who speaks Chinese?!?! I'm totally in awe. That has to make the experience ten times cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I think it's good to have a nice balance between compromising and doing something with your partner even if it's not your favorite, and recognizing that is ok (and healthy!) to do your own thing. Caleb and I have SUCH different interests - if we didn't take time to do our own thing, we would go crazy! On roadtrips we often stop at two different restaurants since we both want different things to eat, and he is all for outdoors and roughing it, while I call roughing it no AC or no Starbucks within 10 miles. I do appreciate that he has challenged me to try new things, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a wonderful weekend. So beautiful. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love if you'd check out my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen - you're so right. It's so important to do things with others and also by yourself. It took me a long time to learn this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true. My husband and I are pretty close, but sometimes it is nice to have a little girl time and talk about clothes and boys and hear my frieds funny dating stories.

    Sounds like you guys each had a fun night.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...