Tuesday, December 4, 2012

on a sunday morning frittata.

when brian's parents came to visit him this year, i made a frittata and it was awful. the potatoes were burned to a crisp, i cooked it too long - and everyone said no no no, this tastes great. please, everyone. do not insult my intelligence. we all know it stinks. and i, of course, should have known better. i should have turned to my old trusty food and wine for the recipe. a recipe that would have people go back for seconds. which is just what brian and i did on sunday morning.
can't be beat.
the recipe calls for gruyere, which i nixed for obvious reasons if you're a reader of this old blog of mine. i used a combo of mozzarella and parmesan and it was delicious, so whatever cheese you may have an affinity for, feel free to substitute it here.
i halved the recipe, using six eggs, two potatoes and four slices of prosciutto. peel and dice the potatoes before sauteing in hot olive oil until golden brown, which on my stove was about ten minutes. while that's happening, combine all the other ingredients in a bowl. it's always frustrating to try and cut prosciutto or thin bacon, so i used scissors this time. i laid the slices of prosciutto on top of one another, cut the stack into long strips, then cut each stack of strips into multiple squares before separating the pieces. i picked up on the scissors idea when i was recently at molly's and saw her do the same with bacon - it pays to watch your friends cook, ya know? (and it's so obvious, i'm a little embarrassed i hadn't thought of it before).
when the potatoes are near done, throw in the scallions and sauté for a minute. then pour in the egg mixture, stirring the potatoes as you pour so they're evenly distributed and covered by the mixture. the sides of the frittata will quickly set, so move a bit fast on that step. let the frittata cook for about three minutes then with a spatula (the kind you spread frosting with), lift the fritatta up a bit to let the uncooked eggs slide under/distribute over the top of the frittata so they're not just sitting in the middle. this step is also important as it ensures the edge of the frittata are not stuck to the pan.
throw into the oven and let it bake for about ten minutes. remove the frittata, turn on your broiler, then broil the frittata so the top browns a bit. this took about two minutes in my oven.
and there you have a wonderful and delicious breakfast. it's really easy and not time consuming at all, which is just how i like my breakfast to be on a sunday morning.
enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Totally making this asap. Instead, I think I'll do it for a quick dinner (looks substantial enough for it!). Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally good for dinner. and you can eat the leftovers for breakfast! win win.

      Delete
  2. That's sounds like a fantastic combination. I love cooking tasty breakfasts on the weekends, to balance out the cereal and toast that I eat during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thaaaaaaaaat looks delightful. I can haz slice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting bacon/prosciutto with scissors?! My culinary mind has just been blow. I'm totally stealing that technique. Thank you, Molly (and Colleen for sharing)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's like the best trick ever.

      Delete
  5. First of all, cutting bacon/prosciutto with scissors = life changing. Never will I curse and struggle with a knife again. Thank you Colleen! Also, we happen to be huge fans of breakfast-as-dinners so this has just been added to my I’m-so-tired-and-it’s-Monday-night recipe list! Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! it's seriously such a good idea. when I saw Molly doing it also felt life changing.

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing! My mom made a frittata for the first time a couple months ago, and it was SO GOOD, however I have yet to try one! That is actually sad, since I have a deep-rooted love for all things eggs and breakfast. Thanks for the thorough instructions on how not to ruin it. I'll be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I've only had these abroad and never at home so I really have to try it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks BEYOND good!! Perfect for brunch! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made a frittata! I need to try my hand at one, and I'm glad to have a recipe that's Colleen approved :) Also, I did not know that trick about cutting bacon with scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ummm...I want to move to NYC just to eat the food you make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure do looooove me a frittata. And adding prosciutto?! That's whasssuuuppppp. Genius.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...