Monday, January 14, 2013

on my weekend in pictures.

this weekend was a good one. i'm finally feeling better, i went out in public, i ate a hot dog. all signs point to a full recovery.
i started out the weekend volunteering at a soup kitchen, and the man who ran it said something that has been running through my mind. before the doors opened, he reminded us about respect for those we were about to meet and serve. that if we found a twenty dollar bill on the street, dirty and tattered, it would still be worth twenty dollars. that even if we washed it off and made it sparkle like new, it would still be worth twenty dollars. that those who were about to come in may be poor, or dirty, or struggling, they are no different from us. they are still human beings. their worth does not differ from ours. and i've been struggling lately with my worth. not bad struggling just - just you know, trying to figure things out. things that come up every few years and make you think and hem and haw about it all. and it is good to remind oneself that while many things go into who we are, how we define ourselves, what we are worth - the simpler details, the act of just being, just participating, at the end of the day can speak much louder than the thoughts that constantly cloud our heads.

10 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better! I can't believe on your first weekend back to normal you went and volunteered at a soup kitchen. I am uberly impressed. What a way to get some perspective. I think about and struggle with questions of my self-worth often. It's one of those things that you have to wrestle with from time to time. I'm thankful that even through the struggling, I have a deeper peace that is more comforting than my own thoughts. I hope you find that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you laura :) sometimes i feel like it's the age for this to happen, but often i think i'll always question where i'm going, what i'm going, what i want and you know - i'd rather step back and examine my life every now and then be ok with being a bit lost and a bit afraid then just floating through it all. i like the thought of a deeper peace underlying all of it, too. so essential.

      Delete
  2. Love that. The volunteering AND what the man said.

    You're inspiring me to want to do the same. I'm going to true search some soup kitchens after school today. It's been on my mind, this whole giving back idea, and now you're helping me realize it's not hard to make it happen.

    (and you're worth it. SO WORTH IT. Every last bit of you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was suuuuuuper easy to do it, too. i would just look up some soup kitchens near you and if the website isn't clear call about volunteering. i did it with my alumni association but the people running the soup kitchen said we can come back any saturday and volunteer individually, which was nice. (and, thank you).

      Delete
  3. And... no word verification? WHAT A DREAM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful analogy. Living in a city, passing homeless everyday (often the same ones on the same corners) it is so easy to become jaded, or look past them. And for that matter, look past everyone else too. Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

    And glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks shannon! i really liked this analogy, i'm glad it resonated with you too.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you're feeling better! And getting right back at it with a hotdog and volunteering! I love that you spent part of your weekend giving back and serving. By the time the weekend rolls around I am so tired I want to only serve myself - and I hate that! When we first moved here I wanted to get involved with the local soup kitchen and we never did...thanks for the reminder!

    p.s. I love your shoes!! (but seriously what else is new?!) Aren't those the ones you posted about forever ago from free people? I guess you gave in and got them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to hear that you are on the mend again and enjoying hotdogs! I have to say that that analogy really made me a little tearful. Like Sherri Lynn, I often feel too tired to serve anyone but myself but I think it's definitely high time that I started giving back a little.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...