Tuesday, January 22, 2013

on my weekend in pictures.

oh three day weekends. are they not the best? why, oh why, when they invented calendars and the working world, did they not make weekends three days instead of two days? a missed opportunity, i say.
the star of this weekend was nyc, for sure. from friday morning onwards, the city seemed to sparkle and grow more luminescent with each sunrise and sunset. and while i've lived in different places and come to see that every place has something to offer, something unique, it doesn't really matter if you don't take advantage of it. so on monday night we found ourselves at the upright citizen's brigade theater (the house that amy built!), and saw colin quinn for $5 as he tested out new material for a new off-broadway comedy show he's working on. i love colin quinn - he is quintessential new york to me, and although he's not as famous as some other SNL alums, i was beyond thrilled we'd get to see him up close and personal. naturally, we grabbed some pizza from patsy's beforehand and as the lights dimmed i thought - yes. this is why i live in new york city. and when it's all said and done and i have to go on to my next adventure, i won't be kicking myself for opportunities squandered. after a weekend where it seemed to shine, it was a great way to end it - thanks for everything nyc.

10 comments:

  1. Your nyc weekend sounds great! I love that your attitude is to take advantage of all that wherever you're living has to offer! When we first moved here we went out more and tried new things and places, but now that we're more settled we don't do it as much. We probably should go out and do more and make the most of it while we're still childless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know - i think a small resolution for myself is to go to shows a bit more (or move some of my budget that way). and i don't mean concerts, but like comedy and broadway. it's something i feel like i've really been slacking on in terms of living here. and my oh my does the childless part help! (that actually crossed my mind on monday - thankful we don't have to pay for a babysitter!)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic three day weekend! I've heard Upright Citizens Brigade is great. It's so fun to soak up the place where you're living. I am like Sherri Lynn, and haven't gotten out and about nearly enough in the last couple years. There's always something fun going on in Chicago, too, and I need to do better at taking advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UCB was really cool - and cheap! i definitely recommend it if you come back to nyc.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you love the city you live in and you're making the most of it while you're there. You never really know how long you'll be somewhere, and I think to really feel like it's "home" you have to do some exploring in your own backyard! It's amazing all the things there are to do in NYC - Colin Quinn for $5?! I bet you're glad you took advantage of that one!

    Your 3-day weekend sounded amazing! I agree that every weekend should be 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - 3-day weekends for all! (and yes, super pumped about seeing colin quinn for $5, really one of those "only in nyc" moments).

      Delete
  4. Living it up in New York City! :) (Sadly, I had to work on MLK Day but it was still a lovely 2 day weekend.) The UCB is hilarious and Patsy's is delicious. Glad you had a fun few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's a bummer :( i always feel robbed when i work on colombus day - i hope you have off president's day!

      Delete
  5. I'm still waiting for the day when someone high up decides to campaign for a 3 day weekend, I'll be first to sign the petition! I am always so jealous of your NYC adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...