Wednesday, January 16, 2013

on possibly maybe kind of ending my sunglasses hiatus.

when i first moved to nyc, i didn't have a pair of sunglasses. you see, over the course of two years preceding the move, i had bought two pairs of nice sunglasses and over that same course of those two years, i had lost or broken them. it was decided, by me and only me, that i could not handle nice things. and if i could not handle nice things than i couldn't have nice things.
yes, i must myself in time-out. sunglasses time-out.
and when i arrived in the city i went straight to target, picked out a nice pair for ten dollars, and told myself not to get attached to them because i'm sure they would be lost by christmas.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand fast forward about four years and, shocker, they are alive and well. these sunglasses just won't die. i couldn't lose them if i tried guys. it seems as though i can't handle nice things - but the cheap stuff? yeah, i'm fine with that.
so i was thinking maybe - just maybe - i could get a second pair of sunglasses and end my sunglasses time-out. a big maybe.
here are some i'm loving. 
for starters, prada is killing it - i repeat killing it, in the sunglasses department you guys. like i can't even. which is fine. because my wallet can't even either. so it's alllllllllllll good. and while i wax poetic on prada, yes, lest you worry, of course i included a pair of fendi sunglasses. which, can we have a moment with these fendi sunglasses? (of course we can! it's mah blog yo). do you notice the two different, subtle colors on the frame? or the "f" that graces the side, leaving all other garish logos behind? go follow the link (it's number 6). look closer. there's a reason fendi makes me curse under my breath. they know good design people, and they think of everything. they are gods among men. gods who protect their eyes quite fashionably.
all these pairs are pretty expensive, (three's ok), but technically i've been saving for years for this moment, right? ;)
Sunglasses for Spring
first row: 1/2/3
second row: 4/5/6

13 comments:

  1. I'm behind you. I have a pair of Prada (or maybe they're Gucci? I forget) sunglasses that have lasted me for yeeeeears! They're prescription, so it's kind of important that I don't lose them.

    I'm actually not a big designer name person, but the quality is noticeably different. I think if you splurge, you'll be less likely to lose them because you're so much more aware of them (at least, I know I am). That's my theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed - the quality is a lot better. and it has the price to prove it!

      Delete
  2. And yay for no more word CAPCHAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I had no idea it was on and I hate it! so glad it's gone.

      Delete
  3. Trust yourself! If you love them enough, they will be ok! I have a pair of vintage Dior sunglasses that were my mother's from the 70's. She gave them to me when I was 16 and I have loved them ever since. They do have a couple scratches, but really, those are just reminders of everything we (my sunglasses and I) have been through together. Go get your Pradas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can we make "go get your pradas" my life motto? cuz that was awesome. (and vintage diors - I'm swooning. you lucky girl!)

      Delete
  4. I have always had bad luck with breaking sunglasses too! I usually buy cheap ones at TJMaxx that are department store quality (like Guess, Nine West, etc) but usually $10 or less. But I still managed to break them... I finally got a hard case and so far that has worked great! If you can get over having a large hard container in your purse (which I carry big ones, so it works) then it's totally worth it!

    I think you should splurge :) You've deprived yourself long enough! & get a nice case to protect your investment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah - i think the hard case would be the way to go if i make the jump to nice sunglasses!

      Delete
  5. I think it's time that you splurge a little and get a good pair! I have to say the Prada ones are my favorite! And I agree with Laura - the sunglasses that I have now (I think they're Nine West) have lasted me the longest because I got a hard case for them. It is a big thing to stick in a purse but since my purse has to be big enough to carry a book, an umbrella, snacks, and anything else one might need to survive for a day, there's plenty of room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - yes i am of the big purse variety too. i can't leave the home without snacks!

      Delete
  6. I also started buying cheap sunglasses because I kept losing mine. For the past few years I've gotten Cole Hahn ones at the outlet mall. I love the style, I feel pretty cool in them, and it doesn't break the bank if I lose them (or sit on them, as I did once.)

    Also, I use a hard case, too. It's bulky, but reassuring!

    I say, GET THE NICE ONES! You are older and wiser now. I believe in you. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psh! $5 cheapies from the street vendors are the route I take. I also cannot be trusted with nice things. Good luck keeping your new pair safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't be trusted with expensive sunglasses either, they usually end up crushed under my behind or lost in the sand on the beach (ouch, recounting these still hurts). I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. Get the aviators, you are badass enough to pull them off!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...