Wednesday, January 23, 2013

on salted caramel frosting.

i'm not a big fan of homemade frosting. or, perhaps i should say i'm not a big fan of my homemade frosting. then again, i'm also not a huge fan of all the chemicals in store-bought frosting (although i do find the actual frosting to be quite delicious). in fact, i've only once found one recipe for homemade frosting that i like, nay, i'll say it - love. i love that recipe (try it!). i often think the problem lies in how much powdered sugar i have to use - it is my least favorite of all the sugars because yes, you can rank your sugars in terms of likability (brown sugar has the number one spot in my heart, obvi). however, when i visited brian at christmas i found a ton of enticing recipes in the christmas edition of "southern living", so he brought it back for me and here we are: salted caramel frosting.
1 c. of firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. butter
1/3 c. heavy cream
4 c. of powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. sea salt
we begin with melting our butter in our brown sugar over medium heat in a saucepan, whisking constantly until we've brought it to a rolling boil. (rolling i say!) which means to say: it is boiling vigorously and cannot be disrupted or stopped by stirring (you heard it here first). remove the pan from the heat, stir in the cream, return back to the heat, then return back to a boil.
after you have brought the mixture back to a boil, pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until thickened; about seven to ten minutes.
and then - as you do: frost the damn thing, of course. taking great care to sprinkle each layer with a few good shakes of sea salt in order to emphasize the salted part of this salted caramel frosting. i found it didn't really taste salty to me, so i probably used a bit more than the recommended 1/2 tsp. of sea salt.
so - how did a homemade frosting hater like me feel about it? pretty, pretty, pretty good. and the reaction i got from those i served it to was also quite enthusiastic. although i would say they liked it more than i did - the stiffness of homemade frosting, the immense amount of powdered sugar (full disclosure: i didn't use all the powdered sugar, maybe more like 3 1/2 cups) - it's all a little disappointing. but, BUT, this recipe was so easy to make and can be played around with that i know i'm going to be making it a few more times to try and perfect it (perhaps a touch of cream when beating it to make it silkier). and if you have any tips on how to make better homemade frosting, or your favorite recipes, please share below.

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh I want! I don't care for making my own frosting either, but since you're now so good at it, you can make mine for me, haha. I'll take salted caramel anything - love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm this looks heavenly. I have yet to find a homemade frosting I like, so I will probably be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. this one and the other one I linked to are my faves so far.

      Delete
  3. I've had the most luck with cream cheese type homemade frostings. I think the cheese contributes to the thickening and therefore the whole thing requires less powdered sugar.

    I am such a sucker for caramel. This sounds delicious. Please share again once you've perfected the recipe because you're right, brown sugar is probably the king of the sugars in my book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BROWN SUGAR! I eat that goodness by the spoonful.

    Serious.

    Once I made from-scratch red velvet cupcakes and I was so proud of myself. Homemade frosting and everything: http://dearfriendblog.com/2012/03/red-velvet-cupcakes/

    yumyumyumyummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing this recipe nannerburns! (and yes, brown sugar foreverrrrrrrrrr).

      Delete
  5. Besides my crap baking skills, I hate making icing because I cringe at the amount of badness it contains. I usually end up halving the butter and sugar and ending up with something that isn't icing at all. Salted caramel has really only started appearing in shops here the last few months and I have to admit that I am on the fence about whether I like it or not... guess I have to keep trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man - you are so better than me - those are the things i love about it!

      Delete
  6. oh goodness this sounds delicious! I don't make cakes often, therefore I don't make homemade frosting much. But this is a frosting I could get behind! Salted caramel anything is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars you linked to today are near the top of list for me to make next - look so delicious.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...